14k (me) vs 15k review

Hi guys, I’m interested in getting a game of mine reviewed. I think my issue is that I keep panicking when I see my opponent create large frameworks and I try to invade or attack it and shooting myself in the foot. I’d like to learn how to best deal with or exploit these frameworks but I don’t have the know-how to do it. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are a few examples of games I’ve recently played where this happened:

Please let me know if you need more information, and I’m happy to elaborate or have a longer conversation. Thank you!

1 Like

You’re playing too heavy behind enemy lines. There’s a Go term borrowed into English called sabaki. It means settling of a weak group inside an opponent’s area by means of light and flexible play. Read about sabaki on Sensei’s Library: https://senseis.xmp.net/?Sabaki

Examples: In game 1, move 50, don’t save one stone at R12. Instead, atari at P11 and make a tiger’s mouth at P13. Sacrificing one stone to make a lighter more flexible shape is sabaki. In game 3, move 48, descending to B5 is too heavy, investing a second stone when the first was unlikely to survive an attack. Instead, attach on top of Black at D7. If Black cuts, just change direction and counter hane at C8. The key to sabaki is that you’ve invested so little in the area, you can afford to just make a little mischief and pull back. Actually, just pulling back to E6 without the attaching stuff would be successful sabaki. Play deep, make Black answer, then pull back.

2 Likes