19x19 FOR BEGINNERS SERIES: Part 3: Playing a Balanced Opening

Hi! Thank you for your feedback and support : )

I am currently working on another article called Joseki Basics. I’m sorry it has been slow going but my life has been pretty busy this fall. I will try and see if I can finish it before the end of the year. Thanks again

5 Likes

Hey - thanks again for your support and your patience. I’ve just posted my next article:

I wanted to give credit where credit was due and thank you for lighting the fire under my rump that gave me the final push I needed to complete this article.

I had written about half of it months ago, but then it sat there on the back-burner while I

• worked on a bunch of different musical projects
  • worked on a mechanical engineering project
  • dealt with raising a 10 yr old while working 40hrs a week, etc … ; )

Hope it is helpful. Enjoy.

4 Likes

This mistake is one of the biggest tells of non-native Go writers.

Since I pointed it out here, I’ve seen it many times.

A case from today (not to insult drifterwolf):

If black is unsure about this area, but sure about its advantage is more than a point, it can simply add a move. Now when black passes by mistake, white has an opportunity to win the game if it knows it.

A good technique is to replace Black and White in your head with black player and white player. Now you can view the colours as adjectives referring to the players, who naturally take human pronouns.

Black and White, Sente and Gote (Japanese, especially in shogi), Red and White (Tumbleweed), Gold and Silver (Arimaa), etc. are all the same: names of players, not actual nouns.

1 Like

I think I was a LOT more careful in Articles #4 and #5 - I think I switched everything to “they/them”

But yes - always a good point! Thanks for keeping me on my toes

1 Like