2022: HOLD MY TEA! šŸµ

this is perfect <3

1 Like

This trend will become very ā€œinterestingā€ for historians, archaeologists and art evaluators in, say, 50 years. Especially the part where the buyer decides on which version to keep. :popcorn:

1 Like

Avalance joseki is trending in Greece right now ā€¦

3 Likes
3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: WORDLE :negative_squared_cross_mark:

I think weā€™ll need a thread

3 Likes

Cynically, you might suspect that the apology was a chance to get their productā€™s name in the papers. You could pretty well rely on some outlets taking it up for its humorous value.

1 Like

Let me calculate
20 000 000 / 330 000=61 euros for each case.

3 Likes

ā€œurged the Church to pay victims with its own assets, instead of asking parishioners to contributeā€

That they need to be told to pay upā€¦

On the other hand, weā€™re having a similar case here these days, and parishioners are sprouting up after the fact to say basically ā€œwell, we all knew but didnā€™t say anything because reasonsā€ so it may be appropriate for them to help cover the cost.

2 Likes

Why do they raise money to compensate for something the church did wrong?

2 Likes

Where does church money come from anyway? From the parishioners? Including those who have been abused?

3 Likes

Itā€™s like raising taxes to pay for government mishandling of assets. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Why should the Catholic church be expected to pay for something like that? The individuals within the church who acted wrongly are at fault. And this is coming from a Protestant.

1 Like

Because it was systemic and they were shielded by their organization. Church didnā€™t do anything to prevent harm, help victims or at least facilitate the proper actions.

I know the ā€œcompanies arenā€™t peopleā€, but it obscures the fact that companies donā€™t act, people do.

ETA: above was my interpretation, hereā€™s from the relevant article, same idea:

ā€œThe Church not only did not take the necessary measures to prevent abuse but also turned a blind eye, failing to report abuse and sometimes knowingly putting children in touch with predators.ā€

5 Likes

The church failed in preventing these individual from acting wrong and did little to stop this problem until it became a public scandal. Large parts of these sexual abuse scandals were not about the people who abused, but about the scale of the problem, the fact that the church knew about a lot of the cases, and that the church did little to prevent abusers from doing it again.

Say that thereā€™s a school where it is uncovered that 12 teachers have been sexually abusing pupils, then certainly the directors of that school are to blame as well?

4 Likes

The usual way churches and companies and schools etc react is: ā€œmove that person from office/ city A where word got out to B, so people forget about it in A and until it becomes a problem in B hopefully someone dies of old ageā€.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I do think the abusers should also carry the burden of recompensating the victims, probably the major part of it. But I see a fundraiser as a way for the church to wash their hands without actually changing anything about what happened (or will happen, for that matter). It looks good in the media, but thatā€™s about itā€¦

4 Likes

At the end of the day, the abusers simply do not have the financial resources to fully compensate the victims. Of course, they should pay all of that they can and be thrown in jail for the rest of their lives, but that still falls short of remedying the terrible burden put upon the victims.

The victims have endured incredible harm and the costs to treat that harm are so enormous that only an organization can begin to fully pay for them. Clearly, the church is responsible as an organization for enabling and perpetuating the systemic abuse, so they should pay, and if those costs must be further passed onto its supporters, then that is what is needed to raise the funds to begin to heal the victims. However, deeper reforms are also clearly needed to address the organized evil that has corrupted the church.

5 Likes

From what Iā€™ve read on the subject, victims of similar crimes usually suffer deeper trauma from the ā€œabandonment of societyā€, when perpetrators are shielded and go free, because it touches the deepest expectations of protection and justice we inherently believe comes with living in a civilized society.

Victims who see their abusers properly punished (money or not) tend to heal (as possible) better.

4 Likes