Immanuel Devillers - 81 Little Lions - An introduction to the 9x9 board for advanced beginners

Hey Forensicator! Thanks for the nice words. :blush:

1. Let me try to answer your questions. When I started writing, I wanted to write an article about 9x9 Go initially. One, that you read and learn something new about 9x9. However, after starting with the basics-chapter, the text went longer and longer, and suddenly I was sitting at ~20 pages.

I then had the idea to make a PDF out of it, instead of an article, and distribute it for free over the internet, in a book form. I consulted with a lot of 15 Kyu players before, but not about the topics of the book, but as a teacher. I’m the teacher of a group of around 4 people that play 9x9 regularily with me (in real life). From that experience, I found out where the weak spots around 15-10 Kyu are, concerning the 9x9 board.

1. Indeed! At first, I wanted to include sections where I explain a lot of basic stuff like Sente, Gote, Ko, etc. But I decided against it after thinking over it a few days. The main reason was, that there are a lot of excellent beginner books out there that cover all these topics. I then decided to write in 9x9 only.

2. I wish I had a lot more time to make a 200 pages book out of it, and I certainly have enough material for that, but my (real) work can take up to 56 hours and more each week, so there is little time for it. (Next to moderating OGS, playing Go, family and other hobbies).

3. Absolutely! :blush: It was an article first, then changed into a book. (I created the table of contents and the introduction at the very end)

4 Likes