8kyu vs 4kyu review request

Hello,

this time a played a strong 4kyu.

I tried to make use of all the benefital comments in my last game.

However, even if i won, i felt that the game was pretty lose by black (starting for example with the bottom right corner sequence?!)

Anyway i would appriciate some comments about:

→ How black did approach the influential bottom left (More efficient way to play maybe?!)
→ How did black managed the K.O fight and how did black managed his wall in midgame starting around move 99…)

Maybe anybody can give me some insights, were i need to work on and what i make already exceptional well.

BIG thanks guys, have fun playing

1 Like

Your opening in moves (1–9) was perfectly good, occupying and enclosing corners.

I’m not going to criticise White, because I like unusual openings, and White is entitled to implement some unilateral handicap when playing four ranks down the pool. But his opening does have to be recognised as unorthodox.

With (10–12) White hopes for (13) S3, after which he means to atari at R5 and induce you to connect at R3, after which he can play away having secured light forcing moves. Your (13) R5, resisting, is commendable. You will improve with this spirited way of play.

Your hane (15) was also sharp and very good. I think that the corner stones can only live by means of this ko:

If you connect with (17) R6, I don’t see how White can avoid dying outright.

See this simple diagram:

And this more advanced one, representing a stronger try by White:

Here White hopes to live with Black A, White B. However, you can play B yourself and ask White why he has three stones there and whether he really intends to jump miserably to O2.

All I can offer you at this time is the perennial “watch your cuts”, one of the most genuine proverbs of the game.

1 Like

On that note, consider reading Dieter’s List of Trustworthy Proverbs on Sensei’s Library.

It’s an explicit collection of various heuristics which make up what a 5k player would call their “basic instinct”, onto which more advanced ideas can be overlaid.

1 Like

In my view, what is important to this corner is this:

At this point, it’s white’s turn. The corner is black’s with some adj outside.

At this point, black’s move, there are aji at x with the potential white live inside. Once white lives inside, black aji becomes more severe.

So let’s assume black adds an extra move at 1, even if it is unnecessary to capture the white. It is still white’s move. Compare this diagram with the first one. black is much better off at this point.

This is a live game with only 10 minutes main time. Black should be very happy at least locally.

Let’s think from another angle, if black corner is secure and can be considered thick, move at x is very small. If it is not secure, black should secure it instead of move x.

1 Like

Now look at the game result: black eventually spends a move at x anyway, why not do it earlier at R3. needless to say, the consequence of losing the corner to white.

2 Likes