9x9 seki? Scoring

Hi, can someone explain how to score the corner at J9 please? is this screenshot correct? Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, the corner is a seki, because both black and white cannot play there. If one player would so foolish to play there, he dies and the other lives. So it is a seki (mutual life).
The points in seki are one for white (F9) and one for black (J9).
H8 is a neutral point. It doesn’t belong to black or white.

1 Like

Sad news for me then haha but it makes sense :stuck_out_tongue: thank you!

1 Like

Depends on ruleset.

Japanese rules have territory scoring, which doesnt give neither any points (eyes inside seki dont count as points.

Chinese rules with area scoring gives 3 points for black (1 for eye and 2 for living stones) and 10 points for white (1 for eye and 9 for living stones)

5 Likes

ah yes good point, thanks!
this was Japanese so you’re saying that all the open points in that corner should be ‘blue’ in this case? i guess it makes no difference because it’s 1 point each but maybe it could make a difference in other senarios?

1 Like

Indeed, techically both of those points should be blue since they are not points, but it doesnt matter since its even number of points. It can get more complicated with odd-eyed sekis where counting method actually changed the score.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll remember this for next time!