A peep at the 3-3 invasion?

Hi! In this: https://online-go.com/game/20594060
game, how could I have defended against the peep at e5(move17)?
Thanks In advance!

2 Likes

I think connecting is fine… AI still says you’re ahead too… definitely playable. AI says pincer is a bit better though.

3 Likes

i think that the peep is a bit less threatening after black pushed one additional time in the lower right. so thats why i would prefer a pincer. connecting is fine though :slight_smile:.

1 Like

If you don’t like the peep and don’t want to deal with it at all, you can also try extending at D5 instead of hane at C5 which makes the peep even more less threatening.

2 Likes

You should avoid this position in the first place. Watch

3 Likes

That can’t be the best response surely.

Like “oh you don’t like 5-4 joseki, then just never play them” but then your opponent opens with 5-4 stones and…

I did actually like yeonwoo’s video though.

I think some local follow up moves would be useful to see. Since leela tends to tenuki away

1 Like

@shinuito It’s not about liking it or not, it’s simply about what is considered joseki vs. an inferior move. The decision is 100% white’s.

So this is the extend vs the hane? So the hane is wrong in all situations or?

There are thousands of situations where you might need to choose between an extension or a hane. In this specific situation, the hane isn’t explicitly wrong but it does leave behind the weakness at the peep and so specifically for a 3-3 invasion if you’re not going to double hane and offer a trade, extending once before the hane gives you extra strength on the outside for the trade of a little more territory on the inside for your opponent, which is now regarded as a beneficial trade

2 Likes

Just to add to @BHydden’s reply, there’s also a third option that leads to more complicated variations. Besides the video, you can also check out the OGS Joseki page.

1 Like