Add Comment field to game setup panel

Game setup panel provides freeform text for name of game. Suggest a Comment field so players can communicate about parameters. For example, a potential opponent wants to use Analysis. Okay with me, I don’t plan to but I’ll get to see how it works. I do not want conditional move sequences used in my game. I wanted to send that comment as part of the invitation; opponent might decide to accept the game if he will not honor my desire. A message could be sent but that could delay things.

Other uses might be: about playing a certain fuseki, language competency, desire not to converse, etc

2 Likes

(Moved the thread from “Development” to this section)

I like the idea to be able to negotiate the game conditions.

[quote=“Aten, post:1, topic:11753”]
I do not want conditional move sequences used in my game.
[/quote]May I ask why? Just curious.

I remember how, at first, I was quite shocked when—almost as if by magic—my opponent’s pre-meditated (word?) moves appeared quickly … sometimes three, or four, or even more moves (tells me something about the predictability of my moves :smiley: but, for example in the case of forced move sequences, it seems to be the logical thing to do (e.g. Snapback or Ko fights)).

Meanwhile I appreciate this option, and mostly I am happy if my opponent also does so since it enables me to keep on playing … in the case of the above-mentioned forced sequences it can be very boring to have to wait a day (sometimes longer) for a move that’s “the only move” at both players’ level, especially if it’s a longer sequence.
(But of course I have also made mistakes with conditional moves, e.g. having overlooked liberties or lack thereof :flushed: )

1 Like

I used conditional moves as an example because it was right at hand. I could have said instead that I selected a max time of 14 days because I honored the minimum request but if my opponent is going to whimper and pout I’ll accept 15 days.

This is not specific to one particular parameter.

May I ask why? Just curious.” I’ve never been enamored of the concept. It’s a bit like playing a bot. For a game that’s been described as talking with hands, programmed moves strike me as being like dealing with a multilayered voice menu system or getting a form letter in reply to a personal letter one wrote. If my invitation is accepted maybe I’ll try it to see how it works.

The stuff particularly about conditional moves might vaguely relevant to disabling-enabling-conditional-moves-and-analysis-should-be-independent-selections

[quote=“Aten, post:3, topic:11753”]
I’ve never been enamored of the concept.[/quote]This I can accept, as a personal idiosyncrasy, but this:

[quote]It’s a bit like playing a bot.[/quote]definitely does not feel like this for me. In the afore-mentioned example of my opponent having planned a whole long sequence of conditional in advance, it’s rather that I have to realise that my moves may be not only knee-jerk moves but also bad (and thus losing) playing habits, thus it may be a good lesson for me, given to me by my human teacher.

I can imagine that once you try out conditional moves you may find that you can also like them …or at least that you may soon encounter situations where you’re glad that your opponent has planned such moves so thatbyou can play the following move(s) right away …

You have taken this totally off topic. I’ll edit my original post to make that clear:

Game setup panel provides freeform text for name of game. Suggest a Comment field so players can communicate about parameters.

It could be used to discuss terms of play that OGS settings do not address, to propose playing a certain fuseki, language competency, desire not to converse, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.