Advance through all active games

While auto-advancing through games, it feels somewhat dangerous to have “submit move” and “pass” be the exact same button that only changes text depending on situation.

2 Likes

The same feeling. I got 2 times missclick from submit move to pass… luckily my opponents were good enough to let me undo…

I would like this as well, it comes down to an interface problem… where to stick buttons and whatnot, but maybe just leaving the 0 move indicator visible is the way to go (if there are any games being played)

It shouldn’t be too bad to add, https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/blob/devel/src/components/Notifications/Notifications.tsx#L305 is where we process ongoing games - basically the gist would be to add something like active_boards[game.id] = game;, delete it when game.phase === "finished", and to iterate to the next board, in https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/blob/devel/src/components/Notifications/Notifications.tsx#L238 add a case where if the boards_to_move_on map is empty, use active_boards to build up the board_ids array in that function, and that should pretty much do it.

4 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Did anybody else get a mental erection reading this? #Programming_Poetry

1 Like

Started working on this today, will keep y’all updated on progress

(so far, backwards! :rofl: but they say that’s the first step :wink:)

Edit:
Day 2: Still backwards, but less so than yesterday! :slight_smile: #justkeephacking

6 Likes

only task remaining is to fix the notification so that move counter displays 0 if pool is ‘active’ not ‘your move’

currently the counter will display the size of the pool regardless of its source, which is not what I hear the community wanting through this thread, as you might see (3) and not know if it’s 3 total games or 3 games which it is your turn to move in…

1 Like

Perhaps two different colors to indicate which is which? Or a 3/2 type of display, to represent both. Maybe make both clickable so the person can advance the way that they want. Or a cute little Go graphic, one white stone and one black stone with the different number at the center of each stone. Just spitballin’ here :stuck_out_tongue:.

2 Likes

There was never really room up there for 2 graphics, that’s why this hasn’t been implemented yet :stuck_out_tongue: but I’ll investigate the idea of possibly changing colour :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You could combine them. Perhaps something like this image, except Black and White for the colors and numbers in both sections.

1 Like

Not all users have eyesight as good as you or me, or play on a large screen. If I tried to fit 2 numbers into that circle, there will definitely be complaints.

2 Likes

Understandable. I wish I had a better suggestion for you. I think it is awesome that you’ve been working on this. Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication :blush:

1 Like

I think if I can find the section that controls the rendering colour, flipping from white on black to black on white will look good and be somewhat intuitive. I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

If I have no games waiting for me to play, I don’t think I need to be told how many games I actually have.

I’d be happy to click on a (0) that says “None of your active games are waiting for you to play but you can click on me to cycle through them”

I would prefer for there to be nothing there if I have no active games (as now).

5 Likes

Excellent :smiley: this is my intended design :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Think this is (finally, with a little much appreciated guidance from @flovo) good to go, just waiting for anoek to review :slight_smile:

Thanks for your patience, everyone :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This just got merged on github so expect functionality to show up on the live site in the next few days or so :slight_smile:

4 Likes

or like… now

4 Likes

Time between github merge and live site update can be unpredictable :slight_smile: nice spotting!

3 Likes

Thank for your hardworking. I’m really appreciate it. Have a good day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Has this change caused me to auto-advance to any game after I make a move fullstop? If I have one game going and I make a move it skips to another game. I then have to go back or go into settings and change the auto-advance. Because I use private browsing I apparently cannot save this setting?

Is there some way to save change/save my settings so auto-advance is off