Alternatives to newcomers choosing their own rank

ajventi, I have not complained about any specific individuals here. I’m not interested in getting people in trouble for picking a random rank. I’m suggesting a programming improvement to this website. If you are not the programmer, I am not talking to you. I want to talk to the developer.

This implies you’re going to start calling out individuals. Regardless, the other points stand, and your mention that you may be a bit fuzzy on the signup process however long ago that was for you seems reasonable because the slider absolutely does say things like “never played before, played for a few days, played for a week” etc.

I think everyone is so against you on this because you’re effectively proposing something that’s already there.

pbgarden, I see. Well, when I joined OGS I did not see that slider. I saw a request to enter a rank. I entered 21k, if I remember correctly, and I have improved since then to 17k.

When I play with total beginners, they frequently apologize by saying, “I don’t know anything about go” or something similar. I don’t ask them anything, or report them, or whatever you mean by “calling them out”.

I don’t deserve to be attacked here because I am only trying to help.

I will now go away and not bother you.

1 Like

Hey man, nobody’s trying to attack you. However, I do believe people are getting frustrated with your attitude (or at least how it’s perceived, which at times has seemed a tad combative.) I wasn’t accusing you of having called anyone out, and I don’t think anyone here, including you, thinks that’s necessary. That bit I quoted just gave people some misgivings about whether you were going to. You could, of course, see how that would be upsetting and feel unwelcoming for a new user. This isn’t to say getting placed in games in which they are outmatched far beyond what their rating would suggest is particularly welcoming, but hand holding with rating selection only goes so far.

As far as the slider goes, it seems it may have changed some from even what we remember here, given the current FAQ. Please take a look at https://ogs.readme.io/ as it seems the current implementation may be even closer to what you’re suggesting than anyone realizes.

EDIT: I believe the slider being talked about shows up if you select “Click here if you’ve played before but have no idea what your rank is.”

2 Likes

pbgarden, I apologize for not knowing that the new user interface had already changed. I am very happy to hear that. As to my “combative attitude”, I apologize for that. I got frustrated. I would never make problems for newcomers. In fact, I sometimes teach them, when they are open to learning.

As to being placed in way outmatched games, I believe that there is no automatic handicaps here, at least for 9x9 games or smaller, which are best for newcomers to go.

I would love to play 13x13 games with an automatic handicap of (say) 13 stones, if our rank difference is very large. Then the beginner has a chance. All they really have to learn is staying connected and making life (I’m simplifying a bit), which simplifies things a bit. Automatic handicaps would be a BIG help for beginners and would help me teach them.

1 Like

So is this not doing what you want to do?

2 Likes

ponygol, No, it was never working for me, so I stopped trying to use it. It does activate now. I guess the developer fixed that bug without any announcement. Thank you!

That’s what KGS does, in fact. A new player gets a “?” rank, which turns into a “12k?” or a “3d?” or something else with a ?-mark after it, which goes away after a few wins and a few losses. That’s probably the best way, I think. Or close to it.

DoubleU, I have no idea what is done here at OGS, but it shouldn’t move a 30k player to 3d in a few wins, if that is what you are advocating. Perhaps you can explain what you wish to see at OGS?

All I mean is, you start with NO rank, and then, a few rated games later (more may be necessary if they’re all wins or all losses) you get a rank. But after the first couple or so, it’s only a provisional rank - something like that.

DoubleU, That’s pretty close to the second posting on this thread, combined with several others. I’m very sorry I started this thread. I should have found out what OGS actually does before I opened my mouth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.