Announcement Center Guidelines

Not sure whether there’s a best way to go about it, but these are some guidelines I’d suggest (edit: for live streams using the banners). Should I drop them into the original post and turn it into a wiki or something so others can add to/change it?

1. Only Go streams that use OGS should get an OGS banner announcement (with some exceptions). (Disagree? The poll is still open - vote here Announcement Center Guidelines - #10 by Gooplet)
    Exceptions include (feel free to debate this in comments):
    a. Official association/federation streams, such as AGA and EGF.
    b. Streams by professionals (Redmond, Yoonyoung Kim, etc)
    c. Educational streamers who have and retain a certain level (?) of viewership, and regularly use OGS.
  2. Stream banners should include some or all of the following elements, when appropriate:
    a. That it is a live stream (e.g. “is live” or “streaming” or “Twitch/YouTube Live”)
    b. Who is on the stream (e.g. “Garlock and Redmond”)
    c. What is being streamed (e.g. “AlphaGo vs AlphaGo”)
    d. The rank of streamer/guest (e.g. “Redmond (9p)”)
    e. Where the stream is, if not implied by item “b” (e.g. “AGA Twitch”)
    Some examples of well-written banners:
    “AlphaGo vs AlphaGo with Garlock and Remond (9p) - AGA Twitch”
    :sparkles:SHOWDOWN!! BenKyo Students (SDK) Live-Commented Rivalry Match! (AYD)”
  3. Streams should be reasonably family-friendly when advertised with an OGS banner. If not explicitly family friendly, Twitch streamers should mark their streams with the “mature” filter.
    (open for debate)
  4. No more than one banner should be made for each stream, with exceptions (multi-round tournament, multi-game pro commentary, etc).

Non-stream announcements for tournaments:

1. no idea yet lol
6 Likes

Should streams linked with OGS banners be family-friendly?

• Yes, linked streams should be expected to be family-friendly
  • No, there should not be restrictions on external content

0 voters

Specifically, I’d define “family-friendly” as avoiding explicit, pejorative, or offensive language.

This is rather vague as you do realise yourself.
What level?
Who determines what is the certain level?
What happens when that certain level is not retained anymore?

2 Likes

Yeah, that was intentionally vague because I was hoping somebody else would have a better idea than me.

I really only included that particular clause at all because of the poll (Announcement Center Guidelines - #10 by Gooplet) that currently has 30% of folks that want all streams to be announced. That percentage is substantially higher than what I’d expected, so I’m making an educated guess in supposing that the reason for that high percentage would be the high-dan streamers who regularly use the announcement center regardless of platform, and who produce reasonably high-quality “edutainment”.

So I figured that maybe this was reason enough for an additional exception, but if anybody disagrees, I don’t have a strong opinion on that.

In terms of defining it, maybe it would make sense to have a rank minimum? 3 or 4 dan on Fox or higher, or something? And perhaps you could look at average viewership and pick some arbitrary number, like 30 average viewers or something over the past 180 days (Go - most watched Twitch channels - SullyGnome)

But this seems like a big old gray area, and I can’t really think of a pretty definition. If somebody has a better idea, I’d be glad to hear it.

I personally am against making a “clout” exception. It’s the newer, smaller streams that probably benefit the most anyway!

I do like the second part of that clause though:

Seems pretty easy to slap a percentage on, like “okay this person is playing VGS right now to do some 3 color go, but 90% of their videos are on OGS so it’s cool”.

(BTW I’m not suggesting 90% as the limit, but I think I lean toward relatively high, like 60%, myself)

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with this, I was just doing guesswork and trying to come up with something that would please the 30% of that poll :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Maybe a rank exception for educational streamers, or just no exception at all? I don’t know how many streamers would actually use OGS 90% of the time, or even 60% of the time aside from the streamers who use it nearly 100% of the time.

1 Like

So… where did we land on these rules? :joy:

Personally I’d be in support of having them put in place as-is, and then amendments can be discussed later as complaints arise…

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t read the whole thread. This is a live stream on YouTube being played on OGS, what exaxtly is the problem? Just that the title doesnt show it’s an external stream rather than an internal review?

2 Likes

Uhhh good question :rofl:

I just removed clause c. Educational streamers who have and retain a certain level (?) of viewership, and regularly use OGS. as per your suggestion, since nobody contradicted it.

Also when i looked at the image you shared, my initial takeaway was “oh neat, you’re playing benjito! Small world” :see_no_evil:

1 Like

It just doesn’t have any relevant details, see (2)

2 Likes

This dang benjito joins all my games, mods plz help!

1 Like

My original post was asking about guidelines for proper use and formatting for stream announcements.

The problem in question here is just one of format, really. It might not matter much to some people, but sharing more information would be nice - from my perspective, anyway. If I’m getting linked to a different website, it would be nice to have more data.

(edit: phrasing)
(edit 2: grammar)

2 Likes

/bans benjito

FTFY :smirk:

2 Likes

Yeah that’s fair some agreed and standardised naming conventions would be helpful for all I’d imagine

(Thanks muchly for the TL;DR :heart:)

2 Likes

I haven’t really been sure what to comment in this thread.

I think if one wants to standardise more of the titles, possibly one could just give a few more options also and automate the banner format.

The person making the banner already has to choose “stream” as an option for example.

One could maybe template a banner then like

[player][rank] [with optional guest] streams [custom-text] on [twitch/youtube/ogs etc].

It might take away some originality from banners, but that seems to be the point?

(Or maybe have a couple of approved templates?)

1 Like

I agree that something along those lines would be ideal - pretty much every thread in the forum where announcements are mentioned has at least one comment stating that revamping the announcement center would be great.

I don’t know how to do that, though, so I’m just suggesting guidelines for use of the currently available tools. The guidelines I outline above are the ones that were given to me by the mod who gave me announcement perms, so it seems to me like at some point, in somebody’s mind, there was a particular “as-close-to-proper-as-possible-given-what-we-have” way to use them.

1 Like

No “who” is the biggest problem.

2 Likes

Yeah fair point

more examples ^^

2 Likes

Whenever i’ve granted some user bannering rights, i’ve instructed to name the banners so that people know its leading into some other webpage like someones twitch channel.

I personally like something short and describing, for example:

• Koba is streaming
  • Koba’s tournament stream
  • Koba 2k is live on twitch
  • Koba playing simuls (twitch)
  • Wild openings by Koba 2k (YT)

And other variations of that sort… I personally consider the word “stream” as direct reference to some 3rd party site (twitch, youtube) since ogs wont provide anything like resembling streaming. But thats prolly the biggest issue with some banners ive seen, nothing in the banner suggests that its suddenly leading users to twitch.
I think its also important to mention who is streaming, as people often have some streamers they enjoy watching and some they quite dislike. So for the sake of streamers themself, its better if they always mention who is streaming so that they can build up their own fan bases xD

3 Likes