Are you a developer? Want OGS on a mobile device? (OLD Android and iOS app development thread)

Yes please!

1 Like

A hardcore yes! The most basic reason is that a main purpose of correspondence games is to fit into the interstices of our lives. This means, at the least:

a) being able to consider the most recent board position of your game in your spare time whenever you have the desire (which includes seeing your opponent’s move ASAP if that is your desire)
b) being able to play a move once you’ve made your decision, in the way that best balances time management in real life and time management over the clock.

It’s not the world’s easiest thing to give extended commentary or to otherwise make use of the review/analysis tools when away from keyboard, but it would be wonderful to be able to do a) and b) when one has at hand a phone, but not a computer. Portability for the simple functionality of playing correspondence games is much more important than making anything else about OGS more portable.

7 Likes

Hi there, I’d like to get involved if the IOS part if steel on plan.

I’m developer in Python, C++, C and Java languages. Not a lot of experiences in objective-C but I think I can adapt myself.

Do not hesitate, I’m very excited by OGS platform/API(s).

Charles.

1 Like

I’m also a developer. At my job, I mostly work in a .NET environment, but I’ve also developed a few android apps on the side. I’m new to this site, but I’ve been playing go and programming for a while. Very interested in helping out. Please let me know what I can do.

Best,
Stephen

1 Like

@stephengreenfield Check out the API and its documentation and see if you can start working with just that. Here’s the real time API documentation. :wink: For further questions, ask @matburt. :smile:

2 Likes

Hi Stephen,

If you don’t want to start from scratch, you may fork DragonGoApp on github: it’s already running OK on android with OGS for basic playing; but of course, there’re many many ways you can improve user experience for OGS, or even totally change the app/gui/look&feel/… if you wish to…

Best,

1 Like

I’m a web developer by trade. I primarily work with UI/UX development, but am pretty well versed in Java and Python. If any help is needed making the app look and feel like the site, I’d be happy to help.

Is there an official github project?

1 Like

I am not a skilled programmer although I have some skill in java and C++. I change my field in webdesign.
Maybe it was discussed a lot but these are my ideas of an application
Core programming C++. Is the best for networking. Connections, data transfer.
For GUI i will vote for an HTML5 Interface.

The messenger will be a second application but primary application will catch notification of new messages (as FB App)
About Chat I don’t have any idea yet.

The actual site have a problem with smaller displays but is my fault I have a crappy no so smart phone.

1 Like

Hi Marc
Any progress on that? A plugin for BW Go would be awesome! I use your app for dragon go and love it.

1 Like

Hi, I know some java. If you need help on android project, I would like to participate.
Also, can anyone give a github url of the projects?

1 Like

Hey, I have read the entire thread and list here the posts that have interesting links

I haven’t done anything besides reading this, but I also know some Java and could help you a bit. It would be nice to get this going again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d like to also bring up Sabaki http://sabaki.yichuanshen.de/ as a possible starting point. It’s already written in html5 (and quite beautifull) and has a nice interface to command line go clients.

Creating a command-line tool to play on OGS (I think one would need to speek the GO Modem Protocoll here) could be a viable way to get a Desktop Client, as well as a relatively easy road towards a iOS and Android client.

Prototyping this comand line client in python is something I could do - for the iOS & Android port however, python IMO isn’t an option. Does anybody know?

4 Likes

Has there been any progress on an Android app?

3 Likes

Yes

1 Like

I’m a developer and would be keen to contribute and review code. I suppose react-native would do the job for the mobile app!

1 Like

578 posts were split to a new topic: “Online GO” App for Android

26 posts were split to a new topic: Surround - iOS client for OGS

A post was split to a new topic: Variation thumbnail in chat feature request

As you can see, this huge thread was split up:

@MrAlex’s OGS client app for Android**:

@HongAnhKhoa’s OGS client app for iOS:

and finally, @HongAnhKhoa’s “variation thumbnails in chat” feature taken as a suggestion for OGS itself:

Please let us know If there is more in this thread that you think should be moved elsewhere or to a thread of its own (we now have a sub-forum 3rd Party Apps for OGS).

Thanks all :heart: for your awesome contributions!

Closing this thread now.

7 Likes