Are you a face to face player?(poll) 🌗

Out of curiosity, I didn’t find any data collected on this yet so I threw that poll to the OGS community. Could help us to know each other better.
I have more to ask in polls about how OGS players interact with the outside world, let start first with this

• I own a go set
  • I don’t own a go set
  • I never play face to face
  • I play sometimes face to face
  • I play regularly face to face
  • There is no go meeting enough near
  • I don’t know if there is a go meeting nearby
  • There is a go meeting but I don’t go
  • I go Sometimes to a go meeting
  • I go regularly to a go meeting
  • I never participated in a face to face tournament or camp
  • I participated in a few face to face tournaments or camps
  • I join regularly face to face tournaments or camps

0 voters

2 Likes

typo?
not clear what you mean.

1 Like

Edited through>threw. Thx.

1 Like

I am lucky enough to have a small club in my city and regular tournaments in a nearby city.
Covid messed up our schedule, but that’s it.

2 Likes

O yes covid is a thing I put a bit aside, although I guess that some of us didn’t yet had time for a first encounter on a real board in their go experience.
There will be a bias for sure, so that’s something we can project to ask again after our sanitary problem will be over.

2 Likes

I went once to the club near my hometown, was planning to go there again, but then the pandemic prevented it.

3 Likes

Did you ever held or touched real go stone?
plastic stone counts too, ogs stone on touch screen not counts.

• yes
  • no

0 voters

2 Likes

I own a set, i play sometimes with it if i have visitors who play go, i’ve participiated at some tournaments which have been near me in recent years, i almost never visit club meetings or gaming nights since i dont live that close.

4 Likes

my local go club has an official weekly gathering. don’t know those folks much and don’t understand why people have free time on a weekday afternoon. don’t feel comfortable to go anyway still at this point of covid crisis.

not sure if i will be a frequent goer even when the crisis is over. i will from time to time just to know people. playing online is just so convenient now. we will see.

2 Likes

I hope we can get enough participation to get some valuable information, so I tried to cover all situations without any opinion.

Now each comment and individual answer in the thread is highly welcomed so to grasp the diversity (and similarities) of the practices.

1 Like

My answers are pre-COVID. Our group hasn’t restarted yet. Probably will restart in the next month or two.

2 Likes

I own three boards, (a bamboo, a cherry, and one I made myself), but they haven’t been played on in over a year now. Prior to that, I used them every once in great while when I managed to convince a sibling to play (a difficult task). I only have two sets of stones despite having three boards (a yunzi set and melamine set), and I hope to someday be able to put them to use despite the lack of availability.

I don’t have a Go club in my entire state, and I don’t know anyone in my state who has a passion for playing the game.

4 Likes

Lets guess your state: Idaho? :grinning:

2 Likes

Even Idaho has a Go Club. I live smack in the middle of Wyoming of all the places, the least populated of the states. :grinning:

I won’t complain though because I love my state.

6 Likes

It’s not true that I never play face to face, but I only very rarely do, certainly not regularly.

Therefore I found myself unable to truthfully respond to the question asked in the Title.

However, I did indicate that I own a go set :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had to make some compromise to not have too many options, but I understand your concern. In my opinion, even if rarely done, to have played some games is something different as to have never done it.
Thanks for your input anyway.

A few discussion found on sensei library:
Face to face vs internet go

12 Likes