Are you sure to undo?

Please add an “are you sure?” step after Undo is pressed (like it is for Resign). It often happens to me to press Undo with the palm of my hand when playing on mobile phone.
Thank you

1 Like

No. If there’s one thing this site needs less of, it’s “are you sure” dialogs (hallo, deleting doodle dialog).

2 Likes

Yes. I like dreffuz suggestion. Not that this issue concerns me very much, but undo should not be a option used too often. So smurph comment about an extra dialog box every time that someone wants to undo a move should not be a big problem.

3 Likes

The odds-ratio of intentional undo-button clicks to unintentional undo-button clicks is probably around 20’000:1. I doubt that inconveniencing dozens fo thousands of people in order to counteract some guy’s inaccurate mobile fingering technique is even remotely sensible.

Intentional undo = 1 click to request, 1 click to grant (optional, because undo requests do not create a popup)
Unintentional undo = 1 click to request, no extra clicks to ignore, even if granted, only costs 1 click to play the same move again.

Just create game challenges disabling undo - or create a custom greeting saying “if you see an undo request, ignore it”.

2 Likes

You could also let the user “undo” an undo request. That would remove any need for a confirmation popup.

3 Likes

A ‘cancel undo request’ button in the same spot is more sensible indeed. As long as there’s still no popup for undo requests.

1 Like

I think you are way off here.

Unintentional undo = 1 click to request, no extra clicks to ignore, even if granted, only costs 1 click to play the same move again.

This convinces me though.

2 Likes

How hard would it be to add an optional confirmation dialogue, but to make it an optional feature you can toggle in the settings panel? I think it would be a nice feature to have.

There’s a term for that.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that this doesn’t qualify as a bonafide feature. More of a simple security measure for those who desire it. Accidental Undo’s are a thing. The pre-existing message about an accidental misclick in the OGS chat box is such an example. Misclick’s are like M&M’s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

accidental_clicks_do_exist

1 Like

I’m saying there’s not much of a point in adding an ‘undo request cancellation’, but there’s definitely no point in making that a toggle.

1 Like

I totally spaced out today :blush:. I had it in my head that we were discussing adding a “Are you sure?” dialogue when you go to submit a move. But we already have that. I swear (hangs head)… just ignore me folks :anguished:.

2 Likes

And what about a feature “don’t show undo button”?

2 Likes

I am kind of with Smurph on this one… If we have an option for every little thing the settings will soon be a scary giant mess for anyone new and they will be unable to find what they need.

To change the “undo” button into “cancel undo” upon press sounds super nice and clean though and would solve everyone’s problem, right? :slight_smile:

Other than that it is not a game breaking experience to misclick undo, just appologize and play in the same spot if necessary :man_shrugging: If the oppionent was nice enough to accept the undo I am sure he/she will not mind and might even get a good chuckle out of it.

4 Likes

Hm nevermind, I thought you could disable undo in game settings, but that’s not a thing.

You could block the element by using Firefox + uBlock though. Unless you have an iphone in which case… be more precise in your screen touchings.

1 Like

I was thinking something along the lines of “what does it matter if you misclick undo, most people don’t see it anyway” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Or you could just type on the chat something like “oops don’t mind my undo request, i clicked it on accident”

Worst thing that can happen with accidental undo requests, is that your opponent grants you the undo and you have to play the same move again. I don’t feel that is such a terrible situation, that we need confirmation pop-ups to prevent that from happening. It would make sense tho, if you could just simply pull back your undo request before opponent even sees it.

EDIT: Also i feel like it would give the wrong assumption to many players, if there were a pop-up to confirm their request for undo. Once you click ‘yes’ to ‘are you sure’ question, you’d assume that you’re doing something permanent and you are having the control what happens, but here it’s just a request that your opponent still have to accept for it to happen.

I can already imagine all the “hey is something broken, i undo’d my move and clicked ‘yes’ to the confirmation, but nothing happened and now my opponent has played another stone?” questions at the chat that will come, if we’re making it any more obscure to realize that undos here are just requests instead actual undos.

2 Likes

I did it twice in a game, and I feel a little stupid

“What’s more silly than misclicking undo twice in a game?”

“Telling everyone you did” :smiley:

Am I allowed to say that? :thinking:

/mouse hovers over ban button :smiley: