Bot name gone from white player box

We’re getting more votes for flat, Bhydden :wink:

That, of course, is what I started with, but the range of different colours you have to contrast with in the bottom of the white container was a challenge.

However, I have some more ideas now so I will play a bit.

I’ll play with flat as well.

1 Like

FTR, I’m open to either, as long as it looks good :slight_smile: currently what we have looks worse than what we had, so as long as you can bring it above what it was before, I don’t mind how you do it :smiley:

Any good? (Full screen for context, click picture to see full size)

1 Like

The shading is perfect :heart:

My only feedback is perhaps you could darken the font colour for bot names a little bit?

Actually, looking at light theme it’s pretty subtle there too, so maybe it’s fine here (who cares about bots anyway, right)

:+1:

1 Like

Maybe getting we’re somewhere then … unfortunately, gold named supporters are hard to read on that light shade of grey :frowning:

2 Likes

Gotta keep the sugar daddies happy…

Tweaked gradient and dark supporter colour to end up with this:

Gradient OK?

Readability of supporter player name OK?

(ignore the [6p]: artifact of test environment)

2 Likes

Readability of the name is good.
Personally I would make the whole thing a little darker just to reduce the contrast a little as the white is brighter than anything else on the page (even the stones), but how it is is acceptable.

Yes - unfortunately it needs to be that bright, no darker, in the bottom half, otherwise font colours disappear into it.

1 Like

Aah, makes sense. :+1:

Some resulting screenshots here:

2 Likes

It’s probably not an issue, but another foreground text color to check is the green used for professional accounts.

It’s a nice dark green. It’ll stand out just fine on the lighter background.

Here it is on the current one, and as with grey for bots it’ll increase in readability on a lighter background

Already live and it looks so good :heart::heart::heart:

See :slight_smile:

Thank you Eugene, I’m actually a little uncomfortable with how much I love this update! You did good kid :wink:

1 Like

Let me grumble a little bit. Our original player boxes had the advantage of being in the same style. In both of them lighter side was on top, as if they were 3d objects lit from top side. Kind of 3d effect. Now the style is different between two boxes I feel. Plus white’s grey color matched grey color of the rest of the site (in buttons and such).

Now, in terms of visibility maybe it’s easier to change bot’s name color, we can make it a little darker. Edit: that would blend with player pop up window, of course.

Additionally, for green and orange names it’s a good idea to check whether they would be visible if you’re colorblind.

I tried to play with numbers a bit and I think it’s very hard to find good values. I understand the difficulties.
Hey, maybe we could hold a contest for best look? That would be fun.

These are just thoughts, I understand that I’ll get used to current color scheme very soon anyway so maybe it’s better to direct the efforts somewhere else.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, I cast my vote for flat as well :wink:

Although I quite like what @S_Alexander has done in the post above me

1 Like

I really like your approach @S_Alexander - perhaps better than the one I just submitted.

I’d be curious to know what the css for that is even if we don’t use it.

I also like the idea of a contest for best design for this.

I don’t actually understand how people can be in favour of flat without seeing what it looks like :slight_smile: Maybe a flat-panel-er could submit a proposal.

(FTR I had also tried pro-green - it’s fine - and also the Paused colour).

2 Likes

In the proverbial ‘bug or feature’ discussion, we’ve actually had complaints over the years that it’s not intuitive enough which player is white and which is black. I think this is an excellent change that fixes that entirely.

I can’t visualise an implementation of flat colours that doesn’t feel like it ages the site by 10 years. In a future redesign I think flat could be designed for to look good but with our current design I think it would be going in the wrong direction.

1 Like

Kinks aside, it looks great fellas thanks.

2 Likes