Can we make it obvious when conditional moves have been played out?

It would be nice to have something show that conditional moves have gone through when you return to a game. Maybe highlight the moves on the board or analysis mode, or a message that says “2 of your conditional moves were executed”. Either way it should be temporary and only seen on your side.

2 Likes

Could you provide any reasons why this would be necessary? Especially when you can already backup through the moves played at any point?

Necessary, no, but it would be nice to know how many moves have gone by since your last visit.

1 Like

i would say just pay attention, if you’re invested in the game you should be able to tell if what was played is what you predicted with the conditional move or if it was a different move

1 Like

Generally speaking I’m playing multiple correspondence game so it would be nice to have a refresher.

1 Like

:blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

The style of playing so many games that they are basically just a pile of full board go puzzles always mystifies me.

Yeesh, okay. I was not expecting this much hostility.

2 Likes

Heh heh sorry for sounding hostile.

I wonder if I may explain? The reason I feel slightly twitchy about this is that players who have tons of games play each one slowly. A common practice is to chose which game to play next by whichever is becoming due. This means that each game goes basically as slowly as possible. That drives me up the wall :slight_smile:

In some ways this is unfair of me: everyone has the right to play at the agreed slowest speed allowed by the settings of the game.

However, there are times (ladder games for example) where you don’t get to choose the speed. So when I end up in a ladder game with a player with 10-20 games or more, I know it will be a groaner…

GaJ

I don’t think you understand the source of my frustration.
I’m disappointed that my interest in this community and my wish to make things has been rewarded by three separate people talking down to me about my ideas.

So, message received. I’ll stop.

3 Likes

To be fair, BHyden very politely asked you why it was necessary, he didn’t talk down.

And come across as rude, I apologised.

I don’t think you need to stop presenting ideas. But naturally they will be explored/challenged: any good idea is subjected to that.

GaJ

I can totally understand the wish to see whether conditional moves have been played out, I myself have wished so quite often.

And yes, I play lots of correspondence games, actually I ONLY play correspondence games on the ’net. Nothing bad about that, also nothing bad about playing slow games. And heck, I’m 60, my memory is fading … what exactly speaks against the wish to add such a feature? (Except of course that there probably are many things with higher priority.)

1 Like

Thanks for the support! I can understand if there’s a long list of stuff to improve, I’d just like this to be on the list.

@GreenAsJade

I had a different reading of what BHyden said, it was not polite. However, that’s not really my point, he may have meant it with the best of intentions.
My point is I thought it would be nice to share an idea with this community and am now walking away with a negative impression. This conversation is kind of an extension of the pattern.

‘Hey, I’m having a problem.’
“That doesn’t seem like a problem to me. You must be wrong!”
‘Uh… what?’

Does that make sense?

2 Likes

Yes, it is a very common experience.

I’ve been through it myself, a number of times. I had a similar reaction to you :slight_smile:

The reason it happens is that it is comparatively cheap and easy to come up with ideas for improvement, and very expensive and hard to implement them.

This is particularly the case in a volunteer run service like this, with a very small pool of developers.

That means that every possible idea for implementation has to be challenged and established to be more worthwhile than the whole other list of idea we’re already waiting to have implemented.

That is why BHyden’s question was polite and appropriate: it asked "why is this feature necessary, in the face of features already available that might alleviate the experience you’re having.

In you analogy, it’s like the doctor asking whether a good sleep might be best (which you already can do) rather than prescribing antibiotics (which have a cost to the community in terms of breeding superbugs, not to mention an actual cost).

There’s also a lesson I’ve gradually learned, which is for every great idea - every screamingly obvious improvement - there is someone who thinks it’s a bad idea.

Just a fact of life…

GaJ

2 Likes

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the effort you put into it.

2 Likes

There’s no need to get defensive, it just seems like the feature you want is somewhat arbitrary, why exactly do you need to know if your conditional move was actually implemented? I find it somewhat odd that you think people questioning the need for such a feature is “hostility” towards you.

I think I covered that already?

He explained that he would like a refresher about where the game was up to, because he plays too many correspondence games to remember. That describes the problem and his proposed solution.

I covered why people question the need for features - not out of hostility but out of cost-benefit tradeoff - which it seems he took on board.

Sorry if I came across as hostile, it was not my intent. All ideas are worthy of discussion. I just couldn’t for the life of me figure out what extra value you’d get from seeing the last sequence played rather than just the last move. I was kinda just probing for more information on your desires… Perhaps “reasons… Necessary” were the wrong words and “situations where this might get used” would fit better :slight_smile:

I’ve found this community to be a very inclusive one, I’m truly sorry if I didn’t pass on that same impression.

2 Likes

FWIW, my reason for wanting such a feature is plain curiosity, combined with (as said above) a fading memory. But it’s nothing really important for me.

Hello!

So low priority in my personal wishlist… but when I use it and make sophisticated conditional branchings, it’s a good memory exercise indeed, but tough… trying to remember per game what variations we have imagined and not imagined…

And as an analogy, no one will force me to play one color go if I don’t want to train my memory that way. I have no idea if my comparison will make sense, well…

So, when the conditional plan disappears when it comes to my turn, it’s hard to remember after hours, days or weeks what the root of my branches was i.e. the original board when I set up my conditional plan. I’m pretty sure it’s also quite hard to know what the move number was at the root node.
Add to this, remembering the exact sequence that might have been played as planned.

Plus, all lives we live that may conflict with the memories of our correspondence games, no matter how good our memory is! :slight_smile:

Arnaud