Cannot hear countdown

Hello,

I hear the sound of the stones but I never hear the voice countdown when playing on an iPad. I checked that the voice countdown option is activated in the parameters. I also tried two different web browsers but the problem is still here.

I lost several games because of that recently. Could someone please help ?

Best regards

1 Like

I just checked that the countdown is audible when I play on my computer but I still hear nothing but the sound of stones when playing from a mobile device (iPad).

Is this a known bug ?

1 Like

Voice countdown works on Android Firefox.

I cannot test it on iOS, but it I suspect it to be only you having this issue.

1 Like

I suspect it’s time for @AdamR to showcase his 1337 MS Paint skillz again.

1 Like

When you go to settings are both these boxes checked or unchecked?

1 Like

Both these boxes are checked.

2 Likes

Just to be sure: have you tried turning it off and on again?

1. Uncheck “Voice countdown”
  2. optionally delete cookies and local storage for online-go.com (this would delete some of your preferences)
  3. Check “Voice countdown” again
  4. Close all open OGS tabs
  5. Close browser
  6. Restart device
  7. Open browser
  8. Go back to OGS
  9. Try if it’s now working.

All sound files should get loaded for each tab once and at once when you navigate to OGS (and sound is enabled), but I don’t know if iOS is doing something unexpected like caching the files.

3 Likes

I think it could very possibly be a bug. I remember playing a game on OGS a little while back and I timed out of the game due to the fact that there was no countdown on the iPad. Perhaps a little later I will test this out again to see how it is on my end. :thinking: I don’t use iOS very often though…

I tried this procedure but it did not solve the problem. Moreover, I played more games on my computer and it seems that I also get the same problem from time to time. I noticed during a blitz game that I heard the countdown only once or twice although I did wait on purpose for the counter to go below 10 seconds.

The problem does not come from the iPad only. It seems more general. And it also seems that I am not the only one since I found this post Countdown voice on mobile

2 Likes

A different phone, a different OS, different browser and a 2.5 years old post. I don’t think so.

2 Likes

@Keyvan Thanks for trying. For me it’s difficult to debug since I don’t have an iOS device to test some things.

What I found so far is not promising:

1. The soundfiles are loaded all at the same time, so I would expect all or no files to be there. If you have a bad connection and not all sounds are downloaded correctly, random sounds would be missing, not every time the voice countdown.
  2. The code activating the sound is widely shared for all sounds, so a bug there should affect all sounds as well. Additionally, I would expect more players to have problems in that case.

My theory at this point is: the problem could be a problem with the clock (the countdown doesn’t get activated because of some synchronization error). After a quick glance over the code, it seems all time updates are pushed by the server (not locally extrapolated), so a bad connection could maybe cause this.

Am I right that the problem happens when you are on a mobile internet connection with poor quality? Old device (slow OS, device)?

Does the clock show the correct remaining time?

PS: Simple time settings has bugs. (showing wrong remaining time for example)

1 Like

@flovo Thanks for trying too :smiley:
Here are the answers to your questions.

Am I right that the problem happens when you are on a mobile internet connection with poor quality? Old device (slow OS, device)?

I tried as an experiment to play from the same internet connection (which is my home connection, good enough to watch streaming videos) with the mobile device and with my computer. It appears that the problem also occurs with the computer. When playing a blitz game from the computer, I voluntarily waited to be in the last seconds of the byo-yomi. I would say that out of 10 times within the last 10 seconds, I only heard the voice 3 or 4 times. It also seems that there is a very slight delay between the clock display and the voice (the voice is heard a fraction of a second after the clock, when it is heard).

When trying again with the mobile device and the same connection, I heard only the number “eight” one single time when trying byo-yomi.

The mobile device is newer than the computer so it does not seem to be the cause.

Does the clock show the correct remaining time?

Yes, it does.

1 Like

It looks like in general it can work (the browser understands all the relevant code), but for some reason it doesn’t in your case. This is the kind of problem which is hard to debug. I would need an affected device and some time to narrow it down.