Cheating

This system is faulty. There is someone who does Not accept that he lost and have a trick. He keeps me having to respond. ,. over and over. I have sent 4 reports - At the end I did not pass… and he won. He is doing this trick AND he changes his username.
Do you agree that something s wrong here? It makes people waste time and one’s score suffers because of his trickery. Am I going to givee my win even though it LOOKS like a lost?

Thank you

1 Like

Hello,
sorry to hear that :frowning: unfortunately those people are hard to get rid of.
In the future, if you encounter such a person in live game, I recommend to immediately report and then resign. There is no reason to waste time on such people. Once a moderator finds a time to respond (unfortunatelly they can’t always respond in real time) he/she will restore your rating and ban the culprit. And in the meantime you can play a nice game with someone more honest :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I am amazed as to how he knows the ropes, but he s not progressing on his games. He wasted his time by learning how to cheat instead of learning the game

3 Likes

Yeah, the motives behind such behaviour are indeed mysterious…
Just don’t let him/her ruin your mood :slight_smile: still there are much more of honest players I think :slight_smile:

Oh also, just now I have noticed you are quite at the beginning of the go journy, so just for the record if you are playing an amateur player who starts behaving like this, you can try reaching him in the chat first. It is not uncommon for begginers to misunderstand some aspect of the game, and they are then playing useless annoying moves, but without malicious intent… Sometimes it is just a simple misunderstanding

4 Likes

no He Knows what he’s doiing. I will ask you to challenge him, and see what he does. No doubt that he knows Exactly what he’s doing.

I annulled the game and sent a warning to the player by private message. Sadly, I think this behavior will always be with us because in Go, scoring takes place by agreement, and sometimes one player will never agree. The best you can do is report the conduct (like you did) and a moderator will annul the game (newly added feature for moderators) and issue a warning, with the possibility of banning repeat offenders.

8 Likes

He wants people to think that cS he’s 25k …he does not know better. Adam, would you challlenge him, pls?

No, sorry, that sounds like a waste of my time (even though my time is almost worthless :smiley: ) I will rather let Mark handle it.

1 Like

not a problem - Ive sent a msg to the leaders

I’m curious to hear that moderators are now annulling games rather than overturning the result. Could you please elaborate further as to why this change has been made?

1 Like

In the past moderators are not allowed to change the result of game as I recall. So it’s a positive improvement.

1 Like

No mods definitely have power to set the winner of a game. That is why the suggestion to someone constantly ignoring score is to report and resign and the mods will come in and fix up the result when they get the chance.

1 Like

Let me clarify:

1. Mods have (and always have had) the ability to END ongoing games in one party’s favor.

2. Mods did not have the power to CHANGE THE RESULT of a game that was already scored. Until just recently. Mods can now annul games that have already ended, too.

So, we still have #1, and just got #2. I hope that helps.

4 Likes

This is very surprising news. I can scour the other threads for references if you want, but I have only ever been told that mods have the power to change the result of any game. This is the first I’m hearing that this is not the case :confused:
(not doubting you at all, I’m sure you know more about your own powers than I do… just saying the unanimous advice I’ve heard in this forum differs)

1 Like

Maybe you’re confusing it with that they could refund lost points, but couldn’t change the games result? They were always able to refund points but that wouldn’t change the result.

1 Like

I think the simplest would be that the program is built in a manner where people Must accept their points. Two times for review is plenty. When someone is playing such as not accepting his/her points and this never ends—It has to be a way to solve the problem. One cannot sit there waiting for EVER because some CHILD is upset.

Hello, while I agree that having limited resume options sounds logical, it would not unfortunately remedy the issue (there are several other favourite ways to cheat), thus it is probably not a priority right now.
Building a system where it would be impossible to cheat would be so restrictive for honest users that it is just not worth it.

3 Likes

What a shame. There is no point in cheating. We are all here to learn. We learn by making mistakes.

3 Likes

Yes, the motivation behind such behaviour is mysterious to me :D. But don’t let it bother you too much. The number of cheaters is minimal compared to really nice players. It’s just that it is so annyoing it can overshadow the rest. And it gets even better as your rank grows, so there is more to look forward to :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes - the realistic cure for cheats is to report them and move on.

(Which you did - and Mark500 confirmed that the mods had warned the person)

4 Likes