College Go club

I’m making a Go club at my college but I don’t know how to make Go sound appealing ,how do I make Go sound appealing to those who have never heard of it? I don’t really know what to say except that Go sharpens your mind. Could I also have some teaching tips because only one besides me knows how to play. Happy to say we have at least 6 members though.

1 Like

Hey @Corey_W,

Glad to hear that your school Go club is going well! I operate my high school’s Go club and we’ve had ~15 active members in general, so feel free to PM me about these things :smile:

1 Like

For edutainment, Hikaru no Go and Aji’s Quest.

Wow I really enjoyed Aji’s Quest but the dub for hikaru no go, shudders I think I will try to get the manga instead for them to read. But I really need to learn how to teach them, I dont really know how to teach someone to play.

First of all, you can show them the “Learn to Play Go” tutorial OGS has made :smiley: That should get them through the 101 basics of Go!

[quote=“Corey_W, post:4, topic:2090”]
the dub for hikaru no go, shudders I think I will try to get the manga instead […] [/quote]AFAIK there also are Versions with just subtitles … I used these (in German) when I introduced kids to Go.

[quote=“Corey_W, post:4, topic:2090”]
[…] I really need to learn how to teach them, I dont really know how to teach someone to play.[/quote]Mh… whenever I teach people Go introduce people to Go, I try to remember viewing it as “let’s learn Go together” :slight_smile:

You’ll make it. Just because you’re enthusiastic and you take initiative. Just see that you also are having fun, then your Go folks will also have it.

Cordially, Tom

(wondering how I made this: teach people Go ?

<strike>how to strike out text</strike> —> how to strike out text ;-))

You really have to know your audience/community to figure out how to grow your club. When I ran my club we were really successful when we presented the game as “break material” and once we had enough people as just a well versed community. When we tried advertising the game as competition or to get people learning it did very poorly.

Edit: By advertising the community I mean, we promoted the game as another way to get to know other interesting people.

A relevant short piece:
http://www.usgo.org/news/2013/11/yunxuan-li-on-how-his-la-school-club-pulled-in-100-teens/

And to give an idea of how a young outsider might look at it, a longer (older) piece: http://www.laweekly.com/1999-03-18/news/the-go-club/

1 Like