Conversation in long games

Hello all

I play mostly long (correspondence) games (ladder, lately). Since those last days, weeks or more, I take it for granted that during this time, players would naturally come to try and know each other a bit, exchange in the chat about the game or whatever comes to mind, the weather in their respective countries, the music they love, unameit. After all, playing Go is a social interaction, and an opportunity to practice a foreign language.
So, I feel most frustrating to have a long game with the only exchange in the chat being ā€œgl hfā€ in the beginning and ā€œthx for the gameā€ at the end, or even less than that. Some players donā€™t even answer your first ā€œhelloā€ and never answer any question, not even : I prefer not to answer. When my opponent is too silent, I usually try to ping him/her by some humorous remark. With various success.
What do people think? Is conversation with your opponent important for you, or you donā€™t care about it, beyond formal minimal exchange hello/thank you?

7 Likes

If the opponent doesnā€™t say anything then that probably means that he plays from a smartphone, eg. on the bus to work, and that he doesnā€™t even see the chat or itā€™s too much of a bother to type much. Thereā€™s no helping that really.

6 Likes

Indeed. I play on a laptop, I never used (and certainly never will use) a smartphone and I hardly imagine how you can see, let alone play on such little screens. I tend to forget that most players are youngsters (under 60). :smiley:

5 Likes

Iā€™m the same way, canā€™t play on a phone. I spectate games on it from time to time, though.

Iā€™m 50 and I play mostly on my smartphone: itā€™s hard to see the chat this way. You have to intentionally scroll down to see if you opponent wrote anything.
I usually do it in correspondence games, because I like to chat, but in live game it could be difficult.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not important to me, I rarely start a conversation (other than greeting), but I certainly do reply if my opponent starts it and in some cases Iā€™ve really enjoyed it.

Related to this: Iā€™ve not yet really gotten used to the in game chat being public. Itā€™s not what Iā€™m used to from other sites and I find it slightly disturbing.

4 Likes

The problem of phone interface I was not aware of leads me to a related question. What is the proportion of players playing on phones? I guess nowadays it is a vast majority (there are certainly stats on that on the servers), so I would suppose that interface should be mobile-friendly. If the chat is not immediately visible, I suppose it was not a priiority for developers in a reduced space.

1 Like

Most of the time I donĀ“t talk during correspondence games (It feels weird to me), but if IĀ“m playing a live game on desktop IĀ“m happy to talk, although I donĀ“t like to initiate the conversation, but when I play on mobile I usually say hello and gg, but itĀ“s a bit of a bother to do so.

Iā€™m a strong believer in the formalities, I open out with Hi :slight_smile: letā€™s have a good game!
And close with thanks for the game!

It doesnā€™t personally bother me if one of my opponents doesnā€™t say anything, and Iā€™ll often leave it at that unless my opponent says something else :slight_smile:

Smart phones are such a limited real estate that theyā€™ve put everything they can into making the play experience itself the primary screen occupant. Making chat visible at all times would make game play impossible.

4 Likes

I only recently got into Go again and have been playing with a couple guys who offered a game after I posted on Reddit. Those two games are very social and we chat(ted) while playing. I quite enjoy the interaction as it simulates a social OTB atmosphere. But in games that I play with ā€œrandomā€ players that accepted a game offer, there hasnā€™t been much chatting, just the standard greeting.

If I played on a phone or had a lot of games going on simultaneously, Iā€™d be less chatty because itā€™d get too much or be inconvenient (phone). :slight_smile:

1 Like

The same applies to me somehow, when I know people in real life I tend to chit chat a little. If I play a game with an unknown and we do a review that is nice, I could befriend him/her and chatting in other games in future is easier.
I do like to start end the game with a greeting, and I appreciate the return. If the other person doesnā€™t reply it could be that he doesnā€™t understand or doesnā€™t care or didnā€™t see it on his phone or just wants to play and say nothing, or some other reason, thatā€™s just how it is sometimes.

2 Likes

Like you, I very much enjoy chatting during a correspondence game. During a recent game I took a ā€œStreetviewā€ tour of my opponentā€™s country (Singapore), and we talked about some of the features. Perhaps itā€™s our age (Iā€™m 63); things were a bit more leisurely in my youth. I also canā€™t imagine playing on a phone. It takes me about 5 minutes just to type a phone number, because of my large fingers.

2 Likes

I like chatting during correspondence games. I donā€™t always engage in conversation though. But if I do, I donā€™t feel insulted if I donā€™t get any reply. Most of the time I open with a greeting, and close with thanks. After live games I sometimes like to talk about the game I just played. Again I donā€™t feel insulted if my opponent doesnā€™t greet back, doesnā€™t returns the thanks, or doesnā€™t reply the game comments after a live game.

There are multiple reasons why an opponent might not reply: Perhaps they donā€™t speak English, perhaps they donā€˜t see the comment, perhaps they are shy, perhaps they find me annoying, they might even believe it brakes the etiquette of go to talk during the game. Whatever the reason, Iā€™m fine with it and will continue to enjoy the game.

2 Likes

Since the game is referred as ā€œhand talkā€(ꉋ談) in Chinese and Japanese, I assume one cannot be criticized for only saying hello/thanks for the game. Still, it would be great if I can practice Japanese one day with my opponent.

Wait, I was pretty sure the Chinese name for go was WĆ©iQĆ­ (trad. åœę£‹ simp. å›“ę£‹) which meant ā€œsurrounding gameā€, or colloquially BāiHēiQĆ­ (ē™½é»‘ę£‹) which means " black white game"ā€¦
Iā€™m not aware or familiar with the term Shou(3)TĆ”n (as you have said) as a reference to Go.

EDIT: after some light digging I have found a some uses of it like that, so I stand corrected.

1 Like

I definately prefer some light conversation to nothing. I will definitely always answer and be polite, but Id prefer if the conversation is there for a reason, and not just ā€˜how is the weather?ā€™.

I also almost always play on a smartphone, and have no real trouble in using the chat.

I think people should make more use of the chat in general, I enjoy it, but do you think there should perhaps be a setting to switch it off when creating a custom game? Then if one does not want to converse and have to deal with being impolite or not, can simply switch it off. (Maybe its been mentioned above, didnt read all responses.)

2 Likes

I used to like chatting in correspondence and live games but as my competitive spirit take over, I rarely chat with my opponent unless I know them before the game. I will just greet them and start playing.

When I have a strong urge to win the game, I just donā€™t feel like chatting until the game is over. I also find it a little bit frustrating that most people donā€™t stay for aftergame review.

2 Likes

If my opponent makes a really good play I will mention it, and if I really goof up I will mention it, but because I am of the ā€œpre-textingā€ generation, I write out my comments in grammatically correct English, and this can take more time away from the game than I can afford. I have chatted after the game if my opponent doesnā€™t run away too fast.

Standard comments, like my greeting at the start of the game, are written out in WORD, copied, and are then pasted in when someone accepts the game.

How anyone can watch a game on a smartphone is beyond me. That is so SMALL! I need my 17" screen. My own phone is a ā€œspecial needsā€ phone and will only make phone calls.

1 Like

hmm, I play 9 by 9 live game or 19 by 19 correspondence game on my 4.7 inch phone when Iā€™m on subway. I think itā€™s frustrating that I canā€™t see the timer and the board at the same time but the size of the board is fine for me. Itā€™s a great way to kill time on transit.

You have the eyesight of a falcon.

2 Likes