Detective Go 🔍 The First Game

We’ll ignore your vote, but yes, this thread is for detectives only. :female_detective:

3 Likes

Looks like the “try to capture stones with all moves” option has won.

Since G15 is a revealed chain, we know that we can capture it by playing H15, G14 and F15, which can’t be collisions. So that seems like a safe option to me.

Alternatively we can also try to capture the H16 or F16 stone. However we don’t know for sure if these are 1-stone chains or not, so there could be collisions.

Capturing G15 seems like a safe bet, but it will not reveal much new information to us. If we were to go for capturing side stones, I think trying to capture hypothetical J17 and H16 stones is more worthwhile than capturing hypothetical E17 and F16 stones.

I’m up for any of these, though.

2 Likes

I ok with either, attempting to capture stones,

I kind of expect collisions no matter what stone we go after

1 Like

To clarify: If there were stones adjacent to G15, then they would be part of the same chain as G15 and therefore revealed. So we know that this is not the case.

Edit: I personally would slightly prefer capturing G15 this turn, as it is guaranteed progress, and then go for the side stones next move.

2 Likes

Ok, let’s submit moves. I play H15 @yebellz

Whichever stone you want to go for, I’m down :slightly_smiling_face:

I will play G14 then.

1 Like

And f15 I think :slight_smile:

@yebellz

1 Like

Demo Board

Back to you (@martin3141, @Vsotvep, @shinuito)

3 Likes

So yebellz should have 12 stones minus captured ones on the board? (counting @Vsotvep 's stones.)

We expect two stones left from the ponnuki, there one on the bottom right, and now two captured.

So I guess 7 stones unaccounted for?

Like taking the one yellow stone could’ve just been a diversion, which might be something we have to think about at this point.

Does anyone have any reason to think something like this isn’t possible at this stage of the game?

2 Likes

I mean, we could be staring at:

Who knows…

2 Likes

Both of these positions are possible, but I feel like it’s unlikely that all of yebellz undiscovered stones are next to our stones. Who knows what the board looked like when yebellz played the move - C15 for example was played not too long ago, and so was P2.

2 Likes

That reason enough I say we take a turn to try give our groups a lot of liberties.

Ideas could be d4 or any of p5 etc for @Vsotvep. I could play c14 and @martin3141 maybe o14, n14 or o10?

It’d only be one turn, one extra stone for @yebellz, but I think if we don’t try to reinforce it looks very dicey if any sizeable groups get captured.

Even if they’re just in atari, they’d be invisibly captured, unless some analysis suggests we’d be able to falsify the eyes.

Edit:
Alternatively we could back up our newly placed ponnuki looking stones, possibly by capturing the remaining two red stones, and one person could try and guess where the rest of yebellz stones are?

2 Likes

I think it’s unlikely that these boards are reality, but we should prevent them from becoming such. I think D15 is still a good move, or else C14 is.

Martin might want to play G15; it blocks eyespace if there are still a lot more stones at the top, and we get to know if F15 or G14 are surrounded.

I think I want to play P5, which seems the most logical place for a stone. And, if it turns out to exist and be unconnected, we’ll be able to capture it to at least stall the capture of the P3 line of stones.

2 Likes

Hm I’m thinking of playing J16 to make sure about the top, if that’s alright with you. If this move is successfully placed, then I’ll turn elsewhere too.

Yes, that would be alright with me as well.

2 Likes

Ok, so d15 would be good for reducing space, but c14 gives that group 9 liberties which I think should also be good if it comes down to fighting something nearby.

Being strong when fighting an invisible enemy seems ideal.

Then again c9 could also fall like any of the other single stones and there’s a decent bit of space there. too much to do!

I’d like c14 and then play to strengthen or do something elsewhere.

2 Likes

Yeah, if we capture H16 this round, we should focus our attention to the rest of the board entirely. With only one stone per turn, yebellz cannot really hurt our top ponnuki’s without being noticed.

So, everyone on the same page with:

blue P5
yellow C14
green J16

2 Likes

I do feel a bit like this

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s even harder for the detectives than I thought beforehand. I constantly feel like we’re being played :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes