DIY convertible storage goban

Today is the big day. My new goban gets to come back inside the house now that all the finish is dry. I used an oil-based polyurethane to seal it up.

Personally I find the polyurethane to be offensive (basically cause the poly is a thin plastic coating on top of my beautiful wood) and I generally prefer a wiping varnish that penetrates but leaves the surface feeling like real wood.
The reason I went with polyurethane is because it offers superior protection from moisture and abrasion, and it’s simple to apply. I believe the extra protection is warranted since the grid is printed directly on the board surface, rather than engraved or “tattooed” with an inky sword like the Asian boards. The pine and birch are relatively soft as well and prone to dings and dents if left untreated. This thing is going to live primarily on the floor, which also happens to be the domain of my 3-year-old nephew. So…yeah. The extra protection from polyurethane is good.

In floor configuration the surface height is 13 1/8", or slightly less than the height of an average ottoman. It’s low enough for comfortable play while sitting seiza-style, but high enough to be playable even while seated on the couch with board on the floor in front of me. Since the surface finish is so durable I can also use it as a footstool. :laughing:

I imagine it will see the most use standing on its own between two lounge chairs, but it’s nice to have the versatility just in case.

And finally, here are a couple shots on the table. I don’t know why I like recreating this exact board position so much but it pleases me.

So I guess that’s it for now. I’m not sure when exactly I’ll be making more since I have a lot of work mapped out for the next few months. If anyone has questions about the design and construction though please feel free to ask. I’d be happy to help anyone who wants to make their own.

17 Likes