Estimate Score In the Analysis Mode

Is there a particular reason that this feature is missing? And does anyone know of an alternative? For instance, you could save the SGF and open it with another program and do the analysis and finally estimate the score? Is that even allowed by OGS rules? (of course, I’m assuming the game itself has the analysis enabled.)

1 Like

I also would very much like to get an accurate estimate of score, as is already provided in the Scoring Mode at the end of each game… If OGS staff agrees, why is this posting not answered?

Yeah it truly is inconvenient. I have to manually count the game or export it to another reader to get the count because the game only estimates the final position in the actual game and ignores other variations.

Probably something the devs missed out as essential and not intentional.

1 Like

I believe the common sentiment here would be “if you’re relying on the score estimator in-game like this, then you shouldn’t. You should get better at counting.”

Now, don’t get me wrong, I suck at counting too, but I think the idea of playing a few moves in analysis and using score estimator, presumably to find the “best” moves to improve score per the estimator, is a really bad idea. Score estimator is a very, very loose estimate, and this type of thinking does not improve your play, it basically just turns your play into a very basic MCTS AI.

2 Likes

I’m not too sure about whether the OP was talking about in-game or post-game analysis estimation but for me I was talking about it for post-game so it has no issues with rules.

Either way this is more about having the function in the first place rather than how the function is used though. Furthermore if this function was to be created I see no issue with adding a simple additional option of making it disabled for a game (just like analysis).

1 Like

For post-game, I definitely don’t disagree. I think this is something that’s been planned, but the devs are working on more critical things at the moment.

2 Likes

+1 for this feature. Since there is already a score estimator and the analysis mode seems similar to normal game play I’m hoping this wouldn’t be too hard. Is the source for online-go closed? I poked around the intertubes but couldn’t only find https://github.com/online-go which seems incomplete. I’m a developer in my profession life so if this is open source I’d be happy to contribute if someone can point me to the repo.

Cheers.

1 Like

OGS is not (at the moment at least) open source. The devs have mentioned having some machinations of possibly making it open source in the future, but there is no current plan to do so at any point.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.