European Go Journal: March 2022

The February 2022 edition was not published due to a war in Ukraine.

My family and I are safe now, so I keep working. The articles announced for the February edition will be published in the March one.

Here is one more announcement.

In the March edition of the European Go Journal, you will find an article on the possibly most difficult full-board go problem ever - number 120 from Igo Hatsuyoron, a legendary collection of problems compiled more than 300 years ago.

A group of enthusiasts found a possible solution using KataGo. They tell about their research in the article. We will also publish the solution with detailed commentary.

You can see the problem in the picture, Black to play.

IgoH120-mainVariation_1

13 Likes

Good to know, @artem92, and I hope this terrible sh!t is over soon.

But you forgot to add the link to the Patreon page for subscribing to the European Go Journal.

4 Likes

I found the text Artem posted on Facebook:

To support the project, subscribe on Patreon:

The past issues are available on our website:

http://eurogojournal.com

The post from the account of the European Go Journal (which is edited by Artem):

Dear friends,

It’s been almost three weeks since Russia started a war against Ukraine, my homeland. I feel sorry that I cannot volunteer to help my country practically - I must take care of my family with two small kids. Nevertheless, I decided that I will keep working on the European Go Journal and 30% of my income will be donated to the Armed Forces of Ukraine. As long as the war continues - I hope not long - for each edition of the EGJ I will write a few words on what is going on in Ukraine.

As always, I invite all of you to contribute: send in your artworks, photography, a story about your favorite place to play go, and anything else that you feel like sharing. The March edition will be published in early April!

I don’t know yet when I will be able to provide the printed version of the EGJ, maybe even after the war is finished. If you are subscribed to the printed version, I advise you to switch to the digital one. If you get your digital version, in the future you will always be allowed to pay the price difference and get your print copy. If you don’t switch to the digital version, I will send you your print copies of the Journal as soon as I have an opportunity to do it.

It was a hard decision to make, but for now we will not have any Russian contributors at the European Go Journal.

Many thanks to all of you for not unsubscribing in this difficult time!

Artem Kachanovskyi,
Editor-in-chief

7 Likes

In the March edition of the European Go Journal, you will find an interview with Vsevolod Ovsiienko 4d.

Vsevolod has just won the European Youth Go Championship (EYGC) in the “Under 16” age category, which took place this month in Prague. We talked with him about the tournament.

Besides, Vsevolod and his family have left Ukraine and are now in Portugal, so we asked him to share his first impressions of being a refugee.

In this month’s issue of our magazine, you will also find commentary on Vsevolod’s game against Yuze Xing 2d - the deciding battle of the EYGC.

8 Likes

I am excited to announce that the March edition of our magazine is now published and available for purchase on our website: March 2022 Edition of the European Go Journal

Another good news: from now on, we accept a new payment method - PayPal. Feel free to contact us if you want to buy our magazine using it.

Highlights of the March 2022 edition:

• An article from Artem on the war between Russia and Ukraine, its historical context and impact on the European go scene

• An interview with Vsevolod Ovsiienko 4d on his recent European Championship Under 16 win, and first impressions of fleeing from Ukraine to the EU

• A review of the deciding game of the 26th LG Cup final match, played between Shin Jinseo 9p and Yang Dingxin 9p

• An interview with Volodymyr Kachanovskyi – Artem’s father and leader of Rivne Go School

• Karl Desfontaines’ article on implementing KataGo to try and solve possibly the hardest go problem in the world, including detailed commentary on the solution

• The latest of the Thirty-Six Stratagems presented by Dai Junfu 8d, Art & Photography and much more.

6 Likes

Excited to see that it is out!

By the way, has printed delivery resumed? I noticed that is an available option for that edition, but not the others.

That’s right, support for the printed version is resumed :slight_smile:

I am not in Kyiv yet, where I have all the past editions printed. So the option to buy a printed version of past editions until March 2022 is not available for now.

3 Likes