Famous person's imaginary quotes on go

Just another silly forum game.
Let’s do some falsification of history :imp:

Make up you own famous person imaginary quote on go. Use your imagination and create a quote that a famous person could have said.
The famous person can be a historical reality, but also a fictional one.

Examples

Julius Cesar: Veni, vidi, atari

Source

Veni, vidi, vici - Wikipedia

Descartes: Cogito ergo luderum weiqium

Source

Cogito, ergo sum - Wikipedia

So what could the next (in)famous persons have said about go?

Steve Jobs, Daffy Duck, Albert Einstein, Luke Skywalker, Donald Trump, Winston Churchill, etc. Feel free to chose another person. The sky is the limit.

5 Likes

Albert Einstein: “Alphago doesn’t play dice”.

9 Likes

“For 800 years have I trained Go players. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained! A Go player must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind…
Adventure. Heh! Excitement. A Go player craves not these things.”
Yoda

6 Likes

I don’t know who said “don’t judge a book by its cover” but just yesterday we mentioned “don’t judge a player by his/her fuseki”

(I guess you know why)

9 Likes

George Eliot

2 Likes

“Tobi or not tobi, that is the question” (Shakespeare).

8 Likes

My reply is Here. A quote direct from God !

4 Likes

An actual quote that I like to imagine is about Go (in comparison to other lesser games, such as those that have to make up for a lack of abstract beauty with silly stylistic flourishes, like adopting the theme of a medieval power struggle, with references to castles and royalty, cavalry and infantry, and even the machinations of the clergy):

I feel so strongly that deep and simple is more essential than shallow and complex.

Fred McFeely Rogers

5 Likes

“Never let the fear of losing a game of go
keep you from playing the game.”

Babe Ruth

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-13 om 07.10.18

Summary

Babe Ruth: “Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.”

Babe Ruth - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Source

Our enemies have made the mistake that America’s enemies always make. They saw liberty and thought they saw weakness. And now, they see defeat.
— George W. Bush, 1946-, American President

3 Likes

Source

“Life is a long lesson in humility.”
James M. Barrie

J. M. Barrie - Wikipedia

3 Likes

“Give me liberties or give me death”
— Patric Henry

Source

3 Likes

This quote dates back to ancient Greece, and is in fact Greece’s motto today:

And here I was told one can never become stronger than 3d if they don’t look for adventure and excitement in their games. How strong was Yoda?

1 Like

Are quotes allowed which don’t have to be changed to be applicable to go?

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live”
~Albums Dumbledore (PS12: The Mirror of Erised)

5 Likes

Sorry, but I have to mess those up:
Veni, vidi, weiqi.
Vidi, atari, vici.
Cogito ergo igo.

5 Likes

Source

Treat a work of art like a prince. Let it speak to you first. - Arthur Schopenhauer
Arthur Schopenhauer - Wikipedia

3 Likes

This covers pretty much the entirety of Sun Tzu’s Art of War :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

nah, sadly Greece’s motto is a nursery rhyme about teaching children proper manners when eating their food. When we eat, we don’t talk, we focus on/look at our food (It rhymes in Greek: όταν τρώμε δεν μιλάμε / το φαγάκι μας κοιτάμε)

Apply that to funds, taxes and public money and you’ve got yourself a national motto :rofl:
Children used to sing that before dinner while banging the cuttlery in tune with the rhythm, which was very funny. It gets funnier if you think adults wearing suits and ties in a meeting doing the same thing, but with briefcases. :wink:

Anyway, you can change that to something Go related, else I wouldn’t have posted:
“When we eat groups, we don’t tenuki, we focus on possible tesuji”
— Nursery rhyme (don’t forget to place/bang the stones on the board, in tune with the rhythm)

2 Likes