Options for hiding ranks in OGS

If I had to hazard a guess I would think that this should be rather easy. The real question is whether or not the devs have better things to do. Is any of OGS open source by the way?

1 Like

The front end is open source.

3 Likes

Go ahead and submit a PR then :smiley: we’re always very welcoming to people dipping their toes into contributing to the development of the front end, which as RubyMinesahft said is open source :slight_smile:

Check out the contributing guide here :smiley:

2 Likes

I had an illusion, need some sleep.

1 Like

We’ve all been there :joy: do have a look into it tomorrow though :wink:

This is epic! I will personally be using this a great deal. Ranks mess with my head sometimes and I wish they didn’t. What a wonderful opportunity you have presented us with. This is going to make a great deal of people very happy. Well done!! :star_struck:

2 Likes

So far I have hidden ranks and ratings everywhere I found them based on the “dynamic-title” preference (which is not the correct one obviously but there isn’t one so far and I don’t think I can add it since it should be on the backend). I also hid the rank graph and ratings table but unlike Mandlebrot so far you can’t just click it to show it again (you can always go to the preferences but it is tedious). It’s probably not done correctly also since I don’t know React. I can’t seem to be able to upload a patch here though, and I would rather not make a github account just for that, so not sure what to do now.

It’s definitely a frontend property and should therefore be per device stored in browser local storage.

2 Likes

I didn’t expect preferences to be per device. I’ve added an appropriate one.

Thank you for all your nice feedback.

I didn’t know that the OGS frontend is on GitHub. It makes a lot more sense to implement rank hiding in there.

@Verbic Thank you for implementing this feature. Let me know if I can help you.

8 Likes

Thanks to this thread, and this PR, there is now an OGS setting to hide ranks and ratings!

9 Likes

Thanks you for the good new !

1 Like

Thanks for doing this @Mandelbrot :grin::heart:

3 Likes

I didn’t expect that the PR would go live so quick :slightly_smiling_face:. Hope you all enjoy this.

Let me know if something is wrong.

7 Likes

I had a quick look around at it and it looks pretty thorough! Great work

That’s awesome!

What a fantastic addition, and cleanly done.

1 Like

I think Ranks are in a way harmful. It´s easy to get fixated on it, to get excited when going a rank up, to get sad when going three ranks down; to have fun beating players with lower ranks, to avoid playing people with higher ranks. Or what would be the worst: to avoid experimenting and risking a loss, just to avoid dropping a rank.

I´m trying to stop caring about the rank, and playing everybody (though I am still too indimidated by Dan players). I think it would be a nice addition to the game if there were an option to hide ranks. So you would still have a rank, and play ranked games and people would still use filters to make challenges for people of certain ranks if they want to - but it would be possible to neither know your own rank, nor that of your opponent.

At least I can say that it was for me a good development to start also playing people up to 1 kyu, or down to 25 kyu or so (in that case, ideally with handicap).

3 Likes

there is

https://online-go.com/settings/general

3 Likes

2 Likes

Great. In that case: just as a tip to people: I think it can add a lot to the experience to hide ranks :slight_smile:

2 Likes