Game Review Request - 21k vs 20k

So, I played this, and I knew that I had lost, but I couldn’t resist playing until the end. I know exactly where I lost (mistimed atari attempt in the bottom right, forgot a liberty, led to massive death). Anybody care to explain how, with so much violence, I managed to only lose by a little more than komi, because I’m having trouble figuring out how, with only two moyos, the game was that close?

2 Likes

In Japanese rules every time you play inside your own territory you lose points. White lost a lot of points this way. Black also did this at times, so that evens some part out.

Captured stones are also points in Japanese rules. Both sides made very large captures.

You can see the points breakdown by clicking the score I believe, or just tapping the boxes.

Also welcome back to (posting on) the forums :slight_smile:

1 Like
Move Comment Suggested Alternative(s)
7 After White’s connection, which is called a kick or kosumitsuke, it’s usual for White to extend solidly upwards in a maneouvre called standing. This strengthens the O3 stone and exposes aji (possibilities) at R3, supporting a possible later invasion there. O4
11 This is questionable for two reasons. Firstly, White’s slack move at P4 has given you time to hane at N2, blocking White from easily entering your lower-side position. Secondly, the fourth-line (high) approach to the 4-4 (aka. star point or hoshi) tends to allow White too much territory in the corner, giving White the better local result. Insteaed, the third-line approach is usually played. N2, O17
13 Another discussion of the kick joseki, which you can and should transpose into with O17. Allowing White to take O17 removes some value from O16. O17
15 The white group is too strong to be harassed by a double approach, considering that you haven’t yet taken O17. O17
25 Another situation in which you can block with a hane. The hane here threatens to capture a stone and prevents White from pushing again. N18
31 Excellent move! This sort of move is called an angle wedge or atekomi. It’s not often the correct move, but in certain situations it can be effective, especially when the opponent’s shape is low on liberties or has weak connections. Again, a very nice move.
34 / 35 We can see that this maneouvre didn’t work. I’m not sure I really understand the local position, but at first assessment it seems best to just connect at S4 and ask White how he means to defend the corner. S4?
45 At this point, you had a chance to live by playing S19 directly. This living shape would have been an instance of the diamond in the corner structure, which describes how the “diamond” of T18, S17, R18, and S19 create a two-eyed shape. S19
47 By now your group is already irrevocably dead and White doesn’t have to respond to this move. I would suggest playing away to somewhere on the left side. D14, D10, C5
49 Interesting move which highlights White’s shortage of liberties. It doesn’t quite work because of the R13 cut, but it’s fairly sente (forcing) and could be considered a probe.
51 / 53 Occupying the first line here doesn’t really contribute to your position. However, it is again quite sente and doesn’t harm your stones, so there is no reason to criticise it at your level. The main reason it’s questionable is to do with ko fights, which we probably shouldn’t discuss.
55 Good move. Sealing off the top side was important.
57 / 59 These stones aren’t going anywhere. Still, these are moderately sente moves and there’s not a lot of harm, at your level, in forcing this way from dead stones. Still, White could consider not even responding to R12.
61 This move looks productive but it really only makes a small amount of territory. A move on the left side would be better D14, D10, C5
63 / 65 These moves aren’t very big but they’re certainly more worthwhile than what White’s doing on the right side.
67 The natural idea in this position is continue moving out into the centre and increasing your presence there. K13 hints at that idea but is too close to your stones on the top side. This fallacy is called overconcentration. N10
69 When your opponent makes too loose of a jump, you can consider cutting off the jumping stone and isolating it, leaving it vulnerable to attack. N11
71 / 73 / 75 White isn’t making any big threat which requires these moves to defend against. White is happy to have taken influence towards the centre by means of these exchanges. D14, D10, C5
77 A strong group, which it is difficult or impossible to attack, is called thick. There is a saying: “Don’t play too close to thickness.” The reason for this saying is because in the ensuing fight, only your stone will fall under serious attack, not White’s group. D14, D10, C5
79 Players below 15k, and below 9k on other servers, will often play this approach. It is a mistake and you can refute it by taking the 3-3 point, claiming the corner territory and denying the opponent a base. D4 shouldn’t leave you with a poor result, but it fails to claim an advantageous result to which you were entitled. C3
81 A renewed interest in and exploration of this position has been one of the most defining features of the post-bot or “hypermodern” era of Go, which began in 2015. There are now considered many ways to continue, but the simplest is with D5. See Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS for more information. D5, C6, C5
87 The solid shape here is the connection at D5, removing the cut there. This is result is quite reasonable for both colours, although that may be because White’s B2 was arguably slack. D5
93 / 95 There is no kill to be made here. You can just defend your weakest stones against White’s cutting stone, preventing it from gaining momentum. C7
97 Bad exchange, losing a liberty. It might not look like you lost a liberty, because you began with three liberties and you still have three liberties. However, the distinction becomes apparently if White hanes at C6 and you respond at B6 – without this first-line exchange you would then have three liberties, but now you would only have two. More to the point, this is not even sente since you’re not threatening anything inside the corner. C7
99 There is a saying “Don’t atari the cutting stone.” Atari’ing a stone induces it to extend, which makes it stronger, which in this case risks harming the E1 stones (which only have four liberties). C7