Game vs. Computer doesn't start

Hi Folks,

great to be here!

I am new to the world of Go, so I would like to start by playing 9x9 against a computer. Whenever I want to start a game, it just doesn’t. It just keeps saying “waiting for the game to start” or sth like this. (My version is in german) But then it never starts! Doesn’t matter what configurations I take. (If i take Black or go on automatic). I tried on different PCs.

What can I do?

Any help will be appreciated, I want to play! :slight_smile:

Cheers from munich,

Franz

1 Like

I might be wrong, but I remember that there are some issues with Go Bots on OGS, so they are “turned off”, that’s why the games just stay hung once you open them…

1 Like

Hi there,

thanks for the answer. Do you know, if I can turn the bots back on? Or is this sth an admin has to do?
I don’t want to challenge better players and bore them. :slight_smile: And I don’t want to switch to another Go-site. This one seems really cool. :wink:

This site IS cool :smiley: but I think bots are being turned off sitewide by admins. I don’t think there is a way for users to turn them on…

If your main concern is just not to be a “bother” to stronger player… well, you’ll find out that most players are welcoming games with lower ranked players to help them improve. :slight_smile:

You can go to the chat or open a new thread here in the forum, and ask for teaching games. You will find someone in no time. I can play with you myself (but I can accept only correspondence games).

Otherwise, you can simply create a new open challenge, adjust the max accepted ranking and wait for an opponent. There are a lot of players around your ranking that are only waiting for someone to play with. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Also, that’s why Handicap exists … http://senseis.xmp.net/?Handicap

Namely, to make a game between two differently ranked players enjoyable for BOTH sides: the weaker player has a good (50/50) chance to win the game, and the stronger player is challenged enough to not be bored, and to still learn something :slight_smile:

Oh, and re: our bots … IIRC @crodgers is the man to answer such questions (pls forgive me, crodgers, if it ain’t so :wink: ).

2 Likes

I strongly recommend playing humans. Don’t worry, there are plenty around your strength, I promise! I think bots are only accepting 19x19 challenges at the moment, and even then, they have…issues.

2 Likes

Folks,

thanks a lot for the answers. I will try out humans. My main concern is, that I might overlook quite obvious atari-situations and so on, which might -even with handicap- make the game a bit boring. Also I bought a cool book and want to try some things out of that, which will make my response-time quite long. :blush:

These are my concerns.

But in general. Thanks again for the answers. I like this page already quite a lot!

:smiley:

[quote=“FranzBadu, post:7, topic:10064”]
My main concern is, that I might overlook quite obvious atari-situations and so on, which might -even with handicap- make the game a bit boring.
[/quote]But … not to worry, since opponents around your rank will also make mistakes, no? And also, mistakes being made are THE way to learn, one rarely learns from mistakes that one doesn’t make :wink:

[quote=“FranzBadu, post:7, topic:10064”]
Also I bought a cool book and want to try some things out of that, which will make my response-time quite long.
[/quote]What about correspondence games?

1 Like