"Ghost" sound during game

Fair enough, anoek. I really do appreciate the dedication you guys have for Nova/OGS and the great community that has evolved as a result of your work. I read too much into your remark, and my reaction was a clear overplay…

3 Likes

Hi it’s me again, after checking for a while I think the bug is that somehow I am receiving play information from every single live game on OGS.

For example I am watching this game http://online-go.com/game/763494

But the console pops up debug information about all other game happening, for example

Chat message: Object { date=1406823430, move_number=98, player_id=86999, more…}
body
"sayonara"
date
move_number
player_id
ranking
ui_class
"“
username
"GoForProfit"
type
"player”

which is the last thing GoForProfit just said in his game.

I also receive game state change, bot api request etc, exactly like what’s happening as if I’m observing every single live game on OGS. That’s the cause of the mad sound including other sounds as well, like “beepbeep” and “beep” sfx.

Bad thing is, still no luck about a reliable method to reproduce the bug yet, I just hop into a running game, press home end left right, make a variation here and there, then after awhile the bug occur.

3 Likes

Ahh very interesting @AVAVT , so just to confirm, you were on the observe games page, clicked on a board which brought you to http://online-go.com/game/763494 and in there noticed you were still recieving those chat messages on the console?

Woo I think we have a winner! I’ve been able to reproduce it twice like that @AVAVT, thanks a ton! Now with any luck I can figure out why thats happening and get it fixed up tonight :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hmmm, sounds like it’s fixed. So far, I’m only hear the stones for the game I’m watching.

Oops, spoke too soon perhaps…

I haven’t touched it yet, still at my day job, so it should still be broken. That’s what’s made this bug so hard to track down, sometimes (most for me) everything works as expected, then other times something is going wrong and games are left connected in the background and we get into a funky state where you start hearing ghost sounds…

Oups! that was my bad, sorry - where were my eyes? :wink: Have to put my gasses on :). Thanks everybody for the discussion, and for looking into the problem. Yes, it looks like happening due to game information filtering on some a higher level (as AVAVT has said).
BTW, I do observe an opposite effect - no sound (sometimes) when playing my own game. I mean, no sound when I make a move - not always, but several times in one game.
I do not expect fixing all of this soon. But I do appreciate the developers team paying attention. And thanks for many working good features, and a possibility to play!

Alrighty guys I think I have this fixed up finally. Let me know if ya’ll hear them still though, there were two causes of these ghost sounds…

Also FTR you can adjust the volume level of the stone clicks and voices (Imagine that, only took two years!)

3 Likes

I don’'t know if anyone else has experienced this or if it is just a problem with my computer; but sometimes when a stone is played the sound is delayed by a second or two or does not come out until the next stone is played. Since I also had problems with the ghost sound I didn’t know if they were related. I also was unsure if I should start a new thread.

Hmm, we should be precaching those sounds to avoid those delays but maybe something isn’t working right. What browser and OS are you using?