Go on Google Scholar

Normally I visit Google Scholar - https://scholar.google.com - for one of my other hobbies (tango argentino), but this time I looked (just for fun) for go / weiqi. And I found some interesting articles. Most of the articles on Google Scholar are to be paid for, but also a lot are for free.

The one that caught my eye was Artur Catar’s Finding Moyos in the Game of Go Using Lines of Sight (Proceedings of AICS 2011) looks interesting to me, because it focusses on a visual approach of go.

For those who are interested: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.592.7969&rep=rep1&type=pdf#page=323

PS I do realise that the gross majority of OGS forum dwellers couldn’t care less about this. But if there is only one who is interested, I have reached my goal :smiley:

9 Likes

Let’s give this a bump.

2 Likes

A thousand thanks. I reached my goal :wink:

2 Likes

Because of the enthusiasm shown :grin:, here are two more scientific articles on go.

As Paolo Zanon argued in The Opposition of the Literati to the Game of Weiqi in Ancient China go was certainly a controversial topic in ancient china.
For more info: Paolo Zanon

In Archaeological Discoveries and Tang-Song Period Sports and Games Cui Lequan discusses on p. 57-60 board games.
For more info: Cui Lequan

3 Likes

I heard about this website. A site which is used by evil researchers if they want to read papers for free. (Papers which they write, lector and cite for free.) I also heard that you can find any scholarly article / scientific paper by title or DOI there. It’s called https ://sci-hub.se/.

1 Like

Paolo Zanon, Qijing Shisanpian (The Classic of Weiqi in Thirteen Chapters), 1996

Contents

CHAPTER ONE: ON THE PIECES AND THE BOARD

Ever since ancient times, no player has ever happened to place the pieces on the board in exactly the same way as he did during a preceding game.

CHAPTER TWO: ON CALCULATIONS

If he is able to work out who will win while the game is still being played, he has calculated well. If he is not able to work this out, he has calculated badly . If he does not know who is the winner and who is the loser at the end of the game, he has made no calculations at all!

CHAPTER THREE: ON CONTROL OF TERRITORY

Before attacking to the left, observe the right; before invading the space behind your opponent’s lines, observe what is in front of them.

CHAPTER FOUR: ON ENGAGING CONFLICT

Rather than keeping endangered pieces alive, it is better to abandon them and acquire new positions.

CHAPTER FIVE: ON EMPTINESS AND FULLNESS

Do not play your pieces too close to those of your opponent, for if you do, you will make him “full” but you will “empty” yourself.

CHAPTER SIX: ON KNOWING ONESELF

The wise man is able to foresee even things which are not yet visible. The foolish man is blind even when the evidence is placed in front of his eyes.

CHAPTER SEVEN: ON OBSERVING THE GAME

If your advance along the sides only allows you to survive, you will be defeated.

CHAPTER EIGHT: ON EXAMINING FEELINGS

Generally, if you are sure of yourself yet modest, you will often win; if you are uncertain and proud, you will often lose .

CHAPTER NINE: ON CORRECTNESS AND INCORRECTNESS

Thus, there are many levels of play and not all players are equal: those who are at a low level play without thinking or reflecting, and simply act in order to deceive.

CHAPTER TEN: ON OBSERVING DETAILS

During play, there sometimes appears to be an advantage where in fact there is not; at other times, the opposite is the case.

CHAPTER ELEVEN: ON TERMINOLOGY

Weiqi players have given precise names to all dispositions.

CHAPTER TWELVE: ON MENTAL LEVELS

There are nine mental levels into which players are distinguished.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: MISCELLANEOUS

On the game-board, the sides are not as important as the corners, and the corners are not as important as the centre.

The History of Go Rules, by Chen Zuyuan, 2011.

1 Like