Guess rank game

Stronger than me, but not dazzlingly so :slight_smile:

Top left was strange, clever, but also waaay too aggressive for b.

I’d say these guys are probably a bit stronger than me, so probably like 3 or 4 kyu (OGS), which I think translates to 1 or 2 kyu KGS these days.

I think they’re around 1k. Hard to explain why, the play throughout just seems reminiscent of that level to me.

I like the global strategies that were implemented, but some of the local moves feel really strange. I’ll pick 7k based on that.

I think all the answers came in, let’s reveal the truth. Can’t do mentions this time, because more than 10 participants.

Gurxtav 1k
bugcat 1k
wurfmaul3 2k
lovecall 3k
mekriff 3.5k
kyulearner 5k
kingkas 6k
Hrewsahgs 7k
BHydden 9k
GreenAsJade 9k
Jokes_Aside 11k
Answer

The answer is 2d. Time control was kinda fast, but not blitz really, 5m+5*1m45s, and they did spend 20-30 seconds per move. So I guess OGS dans are fake? Black indeed looks stronger than white, after that game black climbed to 5d, but at the moment of the game both had stable ratings so I blame Glicko. Can maybe dans explain how this game could be 2d game, @lovecall, @wurfmaul3?

If you have any suggestions as to how to pick these games, please do tell me.

https://online-go.com/game/13022691

I don’t know, it’s normal that we underestimate the strength of the players, right? Other than that, it’s not surprising that white looks weak if black is very strong. I didn’t really analyse the game, but I don’t see clear mistakes by black.

I suppose black knowing he was ahead is the reason why he was slacking so much in the key fight. However considering the time settings I find it staggering that neither side played particularily sharply in that game. Is it possible that this game was a set-up ? ^^ I did put my estimate based on that single element, and now if I look back on the game I agree that it’s not easy to find elementary mistakes and general techniques are quite solid. I would have never guessed dan players though…

Well, the only reason I guessed 3k is because of move 14. It is not a dan’s move at all; too weird. So my guess is it was a misclick but white didn’t bother to ask for undo. I can see no other reason why dan players would play that (or maybe I just overestimated how strong dan are?) Their shapes knowledge is already put them in high kyu in my opinion however the move 14 prevented me from thinking white is dan…Sometimes rank can become stable before reaching real rank too, I think. So yeah, maybe black is already much stronger than white during the game.

You should list the rank of the guesser along with their guess.

I’m guessing that this round just goes to show that most of us have no idea what a dan game looks like :slight_smile:

(I also missed that it was quite a fast game)

what well I guess the moves were so good I didn’t understand them so I thought it was bad… (if I redid my guess before seeing ans I would have guessed 5-7k)