Guess the Go Player

There’s no limit on the number of questions, but if it takes you even ten then that means that my clues were too hard. The initial two clues should be enough for someone with sufficient knowledge to guess correctly straight off.

No, he died before the year 2000.

Takagawa Kaku?

1 Like

Yup

• Strong enough to be a Meijin, but never actually became a Meijin
  • Lived in Osaka

Edit: fixed typo in Meijin

What is Mejin?

It’s one of the major titles in go.

Ok tks I do not learn go in English.

@李建澔2

Well, technically the spelling is meijin / めいじん / 名人. It’s probably just a typo though.

The original meaning of meijin, in Japanese, is “expert” or “master of a skill”.

It later assumed a specific meaning in the professional Go community during the classical period of Japanese Go (roughly the 16th through 19th centuries) as the title of the nominally best player. The last person to hold the Meijin title was Honinbo Shusai, who bestowed (or, perhaps, sold) it as a tournament title, as well as his hereditary title of Honinbo. It’s been a tournament title since 1962.

See https://senseis.xmp.net/?Meijin

2 Likes

Oh that is why when I googled it I still did not know.

To become a meijin (9p) in the classical period, you needed to be strong enough to give some handicap to all the other pros and still win 50% of your games. It was a title for life, so much more prestigious than any modern rank or title.

Komi did not exist in those days, so there were no even games. The meijin would play with white in all of his games, except he would take black once in 3 games against an 8p (which rank was often referred to as quasi-meijin and such players were almost as rare as meijins).

1 Like

If you’re going to say Meijin instead of “master”, then you may as well say Jun-Meijin (準名人) for the 8p title.

It’s worth noting that from 1603, the Meijin title came together with an office called Godokoro / 碁所 (until the abolition of that office in 1868 during the Meiji Restoration). The Godokoro was a very powerful figure in professional Go, with (to quote Sensei’s Library) responsibilities that included: “approving rank promotions, adjudicating disputes between the Go houses, and approving terms of challenge matches (sogo).”, and also controlled the distribution of government stipends. It’s not uncommon to see the two offices conflated in historical work as Meijin-Godokoro.

For a detailed account of Jowa’s famous political maneouvering to take the title (which, I should add, he was strong enough to deserve legitimately), read Invincible. Or just check out Jowa’s page on SL for an abbreviated account.

2 Likes

Well, I’m stumped so far. The only Go player I’ve ever heard of living in Osaka is Iyama Yuta, and he’s won the Meijin tournament.

OK, was this player ever a member of the Honinbo house?

This player was head of a house that rivalled the Honinbo house.

I’ve found no mention of any of these players having ever lived in Osaka, even ignoring part of your clue:

• Y. Santetsu
  • H. Monnyusai
  • Y. Senkaku
  • H. Bokunyu
  • I. Sakuun
  • H. Incho
  • Y. Shuntetsu
  • I. Shunseki
  • Y. Senchi
  • Y. Chitoku
  • H. Genbi
  • I. Genan
  • I. Showa
  • Karigane Junichi
  • Nakagawa Kamesaburo
  • Go Seigen

Is this information not on Sensei’s Library?

Perhaps not. I read this information in “Invincible”.

Is it Genan? I seem to remember something about Shusaku going down to Osaka to play the Ear-Reddening Game at Genan’s residence, but I wasn’t sure.

And I thought he would be too obvious ^____^

1 Like

Correct!
Indeed the Ear-Reddening Game was played in Osaka, the home town of Shusaku’s opponent Gennan Inseki 8p at the time (according to Invincible on page 98).

And my username could be a hint too :wink:

2 Likes

Let’s revive this game.

Both the mother and father of this player are professionals, but she’s not related to most of the pros who share her surname. Who is she?

1 Like