How big is Go society of players from Poland

Dears admins,

as member of Polish Go Association and founder of Polish Go Education Centre association, we are planning some initiatives for 2023. As part of it, we would like to build understanding how big is society of OGS active players members from Poland

Is there any statistics your could share how many players/accounts belongs to Poland / Polish IP addresses?

Kind regards, Tomasz

1 Like

Not an admin here.

The API allows you to see how many and which accounts have chosen Poland as their flag. Bear in mind that there are differences between that and actually being in Poland, however, I’d think the two sets intersect quite significantly.

https://online-go.com/api/v1/players?&country=pl

Another metric you could use (perhaps even more useful, as it is more likely to contain active players) is the people subscribed to this group:

Hope that helps

5 Likes

This says there are 1 223 080 Polish accounts on OGS?!

4 Likes

I can take screenshots too!

1 Like

That is the total number of all OGS players.

2 Likes

I’d like to point out that there are most likely also many Polish players who do not use the Polish flag, but haven’t set a flag or have set a different flag (like EU flag, or Ukrainian flag, or LGBTQ-flag, or Klingon flag, or Esperanto flag, or whatever else).
This might apply to a relatively large amount of players, but who knows?

1 Like

But mine are better than yours! :smile:
Just joking!

Is it possible that you lost someway the “country=pl” parameter from the link?

5 Likes

Pretty sure it’s based on IP not flag choice.

1 Like

Definitely possible! It seems to be working now, I get 1535 as well.

3 Likes

I think the “country” parameter is the flag choice. You can try changing your flag and seeing your own profile info in the api.

https://online-go.com/api/v1/players?username=your_username

I wasn’t suddenly overseas :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I stand corrected. What an odd design choice.

1 Like

The alternative (sharing IP info on a public endpoint) would be an even more odd design choice :yum:

4 Likes

The flags are public information (users decide to publish them on their public profile pages). Allowing to query that is a neat feature.

5 Likes

IP is not completly reliable too, some may use vpn.