How can I improve my correspondence?

Yes, and I find you do really well in 9*9 games, when using black. Thanks.

1 Like

Same as me. Your coment is really funny!

1 Like

Haha, you remind me of not playing cautiously and calculating well-rounded. Thx!
I take some of tournaments and I really play better in tournaments.

1 Like

Conrad was not responding to you in that message. The message from someone else he was responding to has been deleted in the meantime.

He has definitely not commented on your English level, that’s just a misunderstanding.

3 Likes

You are confused. The post of mine that you cited was not in response to your post; it was in response to drifterwolf.

Then go for corr. tournaments, for an once of motivation. There are pretty strong players participating. The ladders have corr format too, and same you can challenge on even terms and look for a top ranking in it.

Sorry for misunderstanding! Please excuse me for not seeing that text.

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding.

I’m the same. I play correspondence because I like to have a little distraction without having to commit to 30 minutes of uninterrupted concentration.

I don’t sweat it. yes, I would probably enjoy things more if I could sit down for 5 minutes and really read it all out.

but if my opponent is and I’m not, then I get to play a more challenging player. and at least for me, my 30 minute game ranks a stone or two higher than my correspondence.

the answer to your question lies entirely in ‘what do you want to get out of playing’

1 Like

I believe there are also players who like always having several games open ; and the addictive feeling of the “is your turn in (some number of) games” icon ; and who indeed spend much less time thinking about their moves on correspondence games than on live games.

The “automatically switch to next game” default parameter of OGS, that replaces the game with another game instantaneously when you click on your move, appears to be designed for these quick players more than for the more thinky and ponderous players.

I can’t stand the auto-advance, so I turned it off in the settings. It would be useful if I had 50 games going at once, but I don’t and won’t; go already takes up enough of my reading time (book reading, that is).

2 Likes

I can’t stand it either, which is why I keep turning it off in the settings, again and again, every single time that I connect to OGS.

I would still turn it off even if I had 50 or more ongoing games. I find it truly awful.

Still, it is the default setting. So I’m guessing that a majority of players leave it on. I’d be interested in seeing the statistics, if they are available.

1 Like

That hasn’t happened to me. I just checked, and it is still turned off. Under game preferences: “Auto-advance to next game after making a move.” It is a toggle.

3 Likes

I also disabled it, and don’t need to turn it off multiple times, it stays in the “off” position.
ScreenShot_26_09_2022_13_10_09

3 Likes

Some computer setting like in a public library will not keep your settings, that could be the case too.

2 Likes