How does GO affect your life?

I’ll start.
I’m very bad at GO, I always get surrounded and herded like a sheep. But just recently did I realize how much this constant defeat had affected me in a funny and real way.

I was walking along the dairy aisle in the mall and noticed that I was nearly surrounded, so in shock I retaliated by trying to devise a way out of this near envelopment. It was only for 2 seconds and I realized how funny it was.

I’v had a similar event happen to me but in a chess kind of way, chess which I’m actually really good at.

2 Likes

I think there’s an interesting conversation to be had about how go affects your perception of different situations and how you respond to various difficulties. Whenever I get back into go after a hiatus I find myself peering deeper into certain aspects of my life–eading further, you could say.

I’ve heard sayings about how go reflects your empathy and other personality traits. Not sure how much folks here agree with that / have experienced it. I think the idea of not being too attached to the result of a given situation and to see things from your opponents’ perspective are very useful traits in life.

Also when there are random patterns of dots (holes in a wall, patterns on clothing) I’ll sometimes comment internally about how good their shape is :joy:

4 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few threads like this one, here, on L19, and on FB, where people tell about how they experience Atari and Snapback, etc., IRL in social situations with people, or in traffic, etc., I think it happens especially when people are relatively new to Go AND when they delve deep into it for a long time, not just for days but weeks and months, and when they play/study a lot daily. I’ve also had similar experiences.

And as @pyronoid says, there is a Japanese saying that the way one plays Go reflects the player’s mind — I must admit, though, that I’m not always happy with what I see in that mirror.

And then there were times when I saw Go situations when I lay on my bed in the dark and stared at the ceiling or closed my eyes …

3 Likes

And then there were times when I saw Go situations when I lay on my bed in the dark and stared at the ceiling or closed my eyes …

Devising chess sequences before falling sleep is something I do very often. It is nearly always involuntary, like an intruding thought but at the same time I completely enjoy it.

I don’t know if I could ever feel or do the same for GO though. Maybe it’s because I’m new but I can’t imagine trying to devise GO sequences in my brain. There are so many possibilities I’d feel like I’ be wasting my time. That + the fact I have a hard time visualizing it. Heck I have a hard time seeing what’s going on when the GO board is right in front of my eyes haha!!

In my case Go is a part of my real life…

so, yeah…

that…

2 Likes

There are some times when I’d compare it to the effects of playing something like GTA and wanting to steal fire-trucks. I’ll be merging in traffic, and some 2 car for 1 car exchange will remind me of hane at the head of two stones.

Other times, it takes on larger metaphors. When I’m not at my A-game in life, when my other projects are suffering, I’ll see my reflection on the go-board as a mirror - showing me I’m not doing well. At other times, I’m feeling the “ecstasy of victory” and that somehow spreads to me feeling like I’m at my A-game in other, completely unrelated life pursuits.

So yeah, it really digs into all kinds of processes.

3 Likes

my life has been totally disrupted. Today Dog died because I was so absorbed in the game I forget to feed it and the defiations just piled up in the hallway. I need to get out more but I afraid my rating will come down. I get coffee delivered by a boyl on a motorcycle. There is a new boy on the bike every two weeks. They move on to better digs I guess. Maybe working at a sports spa.
Thas all foks

OMG! I think you have a problem my friend
I recommend you to apply Go in your whole life, the dog is just another group of stones that you have to keep alive :wink:
I Wish you the best

3 Likes

So the dog didn’t have any eyes?

4 Likes

I doubt this is a good advice on dog-keeping. Should I be prepared to sacrifice my dog if that allows me to kill a bigger dog? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

… i would look for seki in this particular situation :sweat_smile:

dog seki.sgf (620 Bytes)

3 Likes

I’m a musician playing in a philharmony orchestra for living. And there are times that i go to rehearsals and have to sight read (playing a piece without practicing it beforehand, at the first sight) very fast and rhythmically complicated pieces where reading ahead becomes crucial. Since i play go regularly, my reading ahead skill in music improved drastically…

3 Likes

I envy you mate…

1 Like