How to cancel an active game?

How can i cancel an active game

You can only cancel 9x9 game in under 9 moves from the start. 13x13 game under 13 moves and 19x19 under 19 moves.

5 Likes

Up to how many moves a ranked 19x19 game can be cancelled without it being counted for your rank nowadays?

Two.

I’m of the opinion that it should be three, because Black should have the opportunity to judge White’s first move, eg. if it’s on a 2-2 or something.

Nineteen was far too many. I think for a 19x19 game, cancellation rights should be lost somewhere between the third and tenth move.

2 Likes

Ty, and yeah, I agree. I get it for tournament games but for casual games it could be higher imo.

I’ll give two examples:

Someone played mirror go against me. I abandoned the game after 12 moves when it was clear what he was doing.

In a game today my opponent played 64 as the first move. I abandoned immediately and made a new challenge. The same player joined again, played 44, I played in another corner, and then he/she played 64 on move three. I assume the player knew that it would count on move 3 if I abandon, making it harder on me to cancel because of the rank loss.

I play a lot of games, so these “defeats” don’t matter to much in my overall rank. Still it leaves a bad aftertaste imo.

The information is outdated. It’s 2 moves on all boardsizes.

1 Like

Mirror Go isn’t an excuse for game escaping.

2 Likes

You could say the same about this argument, since it is a valid move.

“Escaping” is a harsh term there imo. I play to enjoy, Mirror go is definitely a troll opening.

This issue was discussed in Mirror Go?

The OGS rules don’t consider mirror Go a form of trolling.

1 Like

I can very well be a troll opening, although it is a valid strategy under the rules, as it would be to play the first four moves on 22 or 11 or whereever.

Also 6-4 is a perfectly valid corner move.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree.

What was disagreable in the second example I gave was that my opponent used the fact that the games count from move three on to force me to play a game with a special case opening, although I had declined a first time.

What is the point of what Bugcat wrote here if it is not that his opinion is that players should have a certain latitude against which opening they play in casual games?

As far as I can see from my experience on other servers, Youtube and Twitch channels I watch games with these kind of opening moves often get cancelled.d

1 Like

I don’t think people should be able to cancel because they don’t like the first or second move, though it is necessary to allow this so that both players can cancel upon looking more closely at the time settings.

1 Like

Hum… yeah, you both got good points. I dont think it would be detrimental to the playing experience on OGS if the number of moves in which it is possible to cancel would be slightly higher - even in regards to timesettings: I got by error in a longer game than I wanted and didnt notice until 5+ish moves lmao.

I guess too that in order to become a decent player I need to learn how to play against special case openings, regardless if I like 'em or not. : ]

The point of cancelling a game is NOT to filter against undesirable openings, but to give both players a chance to get out consequence-free if their opponent is a no show. That’s why it was changed from n moves on an nxn board down to just 1 move each. The minimum possible to ensure both players have at least showed up.

2 Likes

Yes, I understood that. In spite of the validity of moral arguments on servers which allow to cancel games after a greater number of moves are played, Tygem for example, players quit if certain types of openings are played, nearly always special/troll ones. I don’t know what the intention of the developers there was, which might be far from how the system is actually used. Different servers, different rules, different customs.

To make myself clear: I do not think that OGS has a moral highground on this with it’s policy. If a game is not holding place in tourney settings I personally do not mind if people quit on the first moves, for whatever reason - they play to enjoy - and there are always players who like to play with/against someone placing his first moves on the 22.

For my myself however, after reading the comments above, and reflecting on my qualities as a player, I think it is better to play every proposed game.

*edit: sorry for the slight redundancy betwern the two comments

Well, as stated, this used to be the case here, but was changed a while back due to heavy user petition. As such I struggle to imagine it would change back again any time soon.

1 Like