How to Matchmake Newbies vs. Newbies For Self-Esteem?

Hi. I’m pretty new to this site, and I’m having a great time, but I’ve noticed that sometimes 30ks who are new to the game keep playing against more experienced players, which is fine if they want to, but I also see the possibility that they are discouraged by something like seven losses in a row, and so they stop playing. Could we find some way to matchmake newbies against each other? I mean, even if two people are starting from scratch, with no knowledge of the rules even, at least one of them will come out of the game with a “win.”

Currently, a (savvy) 30k could start an open challenge and restrict it to 30k opponents, and that’s fine, but there must be room for improvement, and I wonder where improvement could be achieved most easily.

Thoughts?

If you are creating a new challenge you can restrict the rank of your opponent. Under ‘Advanced’ there is an option for a max and a min rank that can accept your challenge.

“Currently, a (savvy) 30k could start an open challenge and restrict it to 30k opponents, and that’s fine, but there must be room for improvement, and I wonder where improvement could be achieved most easily.”

Ah. I misread that. Though, I am unsure how to make the system any better. It’s pretty much the same on the other English dominant servers. There’s not a lot of room to improve “No stronger than” and “No weaker than.”

I ask this not knowing the answer: what kind of Rating range is common or possible within the Rank of 30k?

Addendum: Within the 30ks on my friends list, the lowest rating is -1167 and the highest rating is -800 (duh, I guess, as this particular person is 0-0, so I assume that anything higher than -800 is outside of 30k).

I guess this begs the question: is there a scenario in which matchmaking could or should be performed based on rating and not rank?

I guess if I’m going to ramble on: Could there be a quick-match option that would automatically match people of similar Rating, so it’s more likely that they will have a mutually challenging game?

I guess the fundamental principle being explored here is that Rating has a higher fidelity than Rank. I’m at 28k and even I might prefer to pick an opponent based on Rating, not Rank.

1 Like

Holy moly I just saw a 30k with a rating of -1445. 1 win, 19 losses. That’s brutal. Or, I dunno, maybe he likes it that way. I can only imagine how I would feel in that situation, and it would not be good. In fact, thinking back on my own personal history: Years ago I tried to get into online board games, and it was hard. It seemed that I couldn’t find anyone terrible enough at the game to be a good playmate. Hm.

Hey Therms… we actually have a plan on how to deal with the rank deflation issue especially for players in the 30k and under range… nobody should go that far below 30k and right now we just have too large of a glut of 30k players.

Pretty much everything we do is and will be based around rating as far as future matchmaking is concerned… rank will be mostly symbolic.

Look for a lot of changes regarding this around the release of version 4.0 of the site (which is in beta now!)

3 Likes

sounds rad, and i’ll certainly check out the beta. thanks!

I also just now made a group that might help bring low-rating 30k’s together in the meantime: Low-Rating 30k’s

Hi.
I simply accept my rank + one higher.
JUst had a quick game with a fellow 30K who resigned after 14 stones. neither of us can progress that way.
At least when you accept being beaten you learn a little.
That’s why I welcome 29Ks but not 28Ks … I would to keep SOME face.