Hurt/Heal Fuseki

Both of those options are already dead. Look at mark5000’s most recent post for an unofficial tally of the current living contenders.

hurt chinese
heal mark II KF

Updated to KoBa’s post.

Heal Chinese
Hurt Mukai Komoku

Hurt: Chinese
Heal: Orthodox

Heal: Chinese
Hurt: Lei

+chinese
-kobayashi

Heal Chinese
Hurt Mukai Komoku

I understand that people are only voting once per calendar day, but perhaps there should be 24 hours between votes?

Hurt orthodox
Heal nirensei

Hurt:Chinese
Heal: Orthodox

+nirensei
-kobayashi

The chinese has advanced far enough into the finishing stretch to match my general opinion of it. Therefore it no longer has any particular priority for me.

Hurt orthodox
Heal micro Chinese

+nirensei
-orthodox

I cautiously dislike the way the orthodox usually plays out for White and have a feeling that Go Seigen’s advice may be accurate to the point where it should actually be played with a wide enclosure instead. At any rate, super-solid openings are not quite my style and I do like to break up the board a bit, so my preference weighs there too. It’s kind of a pity that the interweaving komoku opening wasn’t included in the list of potential openings, though, since that’s one opening where you do have a nice calm territorial approach and is one of the few options where you have to open with 3-4 (without advancing all the way to something archaic like an attempted shusaku opening)

Nirensei remains a great choice at all levels and has no super-specific plan for a particular type of moyo, so I think it’s a great contrast to all these other options where Black immediately attempts a large-scale formation.

2 Likes

Hurt mark II Kobayashi
Heal cross hoshi

+nirensei
-orthodox

Hurt Mark II Kobayashi
Heal Small Chinese

CURRENT STANDINGS
Chinese 8
Cross Hoshi 24
Lei 11
Mark II Kobayashi Formation 8
Micro Chinese 24
Mukai Komoku 8
Nirensei 29
Orthodox 7
Small Chinese 25

hurt micro chinese
heal orthodox

+lei
-orthodox

Lei is another non-framework pattern, and an interesting option among those available because it has the sharp feel of White taking some initiative on actively planning the pattern.

1 Like

Hurt lei
Heal micro Chinese

Ignoring the pincer “feels” wrong. I’m not certain it’s better than just diving into the corner. It’s true that after the joseki white has the privilege of approaching black’s corner. However, the gap between stones is too wide. Black can invade easily or just pressure white into spending another move to fix the weakness. Even if white jumps out actively, white’s still got all her eggs in one big center-oriented basket. Not my bag.