Hurt/Heal Fuseki

Orthodox is already dead, and I’m not sure if we want to override the default idea of allowing no nominations now that the voting is so far along.

+lei
-cross hoshi

1 Like

+chinese
-cross H

+lei
-crossh

Hurt sub-orthodox.
Heal sanrensei.

Heal Nirensei
Hurt Micro Chinese

Because I’m not a dan and can’t play anything other than Nirensei XD

1 Like

Heal: Tasuki
Hurt: Sanrensei

2 Likes

Why did you necrobump a thread from 2015 mate

Oh sorry. I was actually looking for threads about diagonal openings. I am continuously surprised that most people don’t seem to like them. Sorry for waking up a dead thread.

Wow, I remember this old thread. It was quite active back in the day. Odd how it just suddenly ended.

Heal chinese
Hurt gorensei

The word on the street is that diagonal openings are slightly better for black. Or at least that’s what AI tells us.

Which makes it even weirded that in my experience most B players don’t play the diagonal but opt for their second stone on the corner of the same side. Very frustrating, because you get one of those boring symmetric games.

I’ll have to try it. My pre AI learning was that diagonal opening was better for white due to more fighting and the stronger player taking white and so being presumed to be better at fighting. I have usually avoided it due to my (perceived) lack of skill at fighting…

That could explain it. With the two corners at the same side opening, the game depends more on long term strategy and things like that. I have an enormous lack of skill at strategy, and actually find it the most annoying aspect of GO. It bores me and I hate it. I don’t know if I have a skill in fighting, but at least I enjoy those fights, so this might be the reason why I prefer the diagonals.

Handicap games are a different issue. My comment was for players of same strength.

I think you need to revisit the way you view the game, maybe review a couple recent pro games (2017 or 2018). For example, explore this position which is common in parallel opening:

For many of us it’s quite the opposite. That’s the added value of Go over other chess games.

3 Likes

Well, to be honest I don’t like GO. I only play it because it’s possible to play really fast games (which is impossible in chess), of the order of 2 minutes. I am only comfortable in the 20 k range. With more advanced players I get bored. I tried understanding the game but it got me in such a bad mood that after a few months I gave up. So now it’s just a few very fast games a day, without thinking at all. For that purpose, diagonals are much more fun because you get into battles sooner and you don’t have to think about influences and “big moves” and all that annoying and confusing stuff.

Actually, @Igiveup, I’m really glad that you did. I believe this is a useful thread, and reviving it, rather than starting a new one, has the advantage of showing how fuseki has changed over the years—and a lot may have changed since 2015.

Books fit best my learning style, but there’s the risk that something isn’t up to date—for example, I’ve read Otake’s Opening Theory Made Easy, but I only learned that pincers aren’t such a favored move nowadays by watching a commentary during the World Go Championship.

It’s good to have a dynamic resource and get the thoughts supporting different players’ preferences for particular moves, strategies or overall playing styles.

So, thank you for bringing this one back, and thanks to everyone who’s contributing to keep it going moving forward.

2 Likes

Why do you say that it’s impossible to play really fast games in chess? If anything, I believe that playing very fast games is a much popular activity in chess. A lot of strong players take rapid, blitz, and bullet quite seriously.

1 Like

Maybe you are right, but even a simple movement in chess takes at least some thinking. In GO you can put pieces on the board without thinking at all, just because it seems “to look good” (I wouldn’t call it intuition even). Doing that in chess is suicide. With GO, it means I am not learning anything and I don’t play very well, but sometimes it leads to fun situations. And sometimes it’s suicide too, obviously.

Playing without thinking is not effective in go either, but you just don’t seem to realize that yet. You might get away with making some bad moves, especially against weaker players, but learning isn’t really possible without thinking.

1 Like