I don't get why my group was dead

Hi,

In this game : https://online-go.com/game/1234062

At the very end of the game, before black played a15, the automatic scoring thing said my white left group was dead. But I’m not sure why. I asked the other player to try and attack it but apparently his attack didn’t work because 5 stones later, my white group was alive.

I’d like to know how black could’ve killed white’s left group.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

PS: On a completely unrelated topic, I apparently can’t edit my email for my forum profile, is that normal?

Your group is alive even after A15. The automatic scorer sometimes struggles to determine the proper life and death status of groups, so don’t rely too heavily on it.

3 Likes

The forum email can’t be changed, and can be ignored. :sunny:

(If you receive emails over the forums, they will get sent to the email adress you specified in your profile at online-go.com)

1 Like

Ok. I wanted to change it to be able to get my gravatar avatar. I guess I’ll have to download it and reupload it.

1 Like

A question: in Japanese rules, shouldn’t the score be calculated from the position straight after the two passes? In this case, the dispute cost white 1 point (due to black’s oversight at the end of normal play).

It changes nothing since it’s a large difference, but there’s still a point to be taken at E7.

Yes, in Japanese rules score should be calculated after the two passes, analysis to determine life and death status should not change the position.

The “tournament rules” associated with Japanese rules speak of resumptions, though, in case a player request to resume, with the opposing player to start. This is somewhat ambiguous and even ridiculous (the rules say if both players can’t agree on who resumes, both lose, etc).

The correct thing to do is, analyze the group status in another board / using (single-convex, chinese-style) stones upside down / in analysis mode, and once agreement is reached about the true status (there are many subtleties in complicated / strange positions with japanese rules), only then score the original stopping position accordingly. If players have doubts during the analysis, stronger, more experienced players should be asked for help.