I think the 13k default rank is doing harm [Closed]

Since anoek is back and active (yay! :slight_smile: ) and humble rank seems to be instated (did I get that right?), I’ll shamelessly use this opportunity to talk about MY experience as a new user for a moment and what MY biggest challenge to enjoyment of the game was.

I joined OGS in August 2017 with no prior knowledge of the game other than “stones with no liberties get taken off the board”. Being matched to players of equal strength was never an issue for me. I was beat down to 25k in no time at all - five games at the most. (Unfortunately, my games history only seems to go back to September for some reason, and the rank progression graph is severely bugged for me, so I have no exact numbers here.)

The lowest my Glicko rating dropped to was 623 +/- 82. OGS converted this to 25k. I played and played for about a month, around 120 - 150 games, before my rank finally became 24k (this happens around a Glicko rating of 1030). For a month, I was left in despair because I had no idea at what point I would finally “escape” 25k. I had no sense of progress and wondered if I was improving at all. I definitely came close to quitting at some point.

This was due to OGS’ arbitrary rank limit of 25k. If the Glicko conversion formula was applied consistently at the lower levels, my initial rank of 623 would have converted to 40k and I would have been able to observe the gradual rise of my rank from 40k through 24k. Even at these low skill levels, the Glicko deviation works so well that wild rank variance from game to game would not have been an issue.

Hence my suggestion to remove the arbitrary 25k limit and let the Glicko conversion formula do what it does best - relevant thread here :slight_smile: Please (re)instate ranks beyond 25k and 9d

(It seems that since the last post in that thread, players stronger than 9d are now marked 9d+, which currently seems to concern less than ten accounts, anyway, so feel free to skip over that part of my proposal.)

6 Likes