I wish I didn't have to dismiss announcements twice

I still find that the homepage announcements are a bit distracting and shifts the rest of the content slightly down on the page, so I feel compelled to clear them there as well. When I’ve dismissed a pop-up announcement, it’s generally because I’m done with it in all formats.

For the non-urgent announcements, I think it makes a lot of sense to get rid of the pop-up altogether and rely on just the banner on the homepage. I’ve made a similar suggestion in the other discussion here:

3 Likes

Great point!

A solution for me would indeed be as simple as moving the home page announcement down under the games in an “Announcements” section … I’d probably never dismiss them from there!

what about the people that have hundreds of games??? there is rarely more than about 2 announcements at once, so it makes sense for them to be at the top. Unless you’re on mobile they barely take up any screen real estate.

2 Likes

Heh that was me I hope no hard feelings- I’m just passionate about delete buttons :sweat_smile:

None at all - you were right.

1 Like

What about all the people on mobile?

What about the people who don’t want to have to dismiss the same thing twice to have a clean home page?

On my phone, games are already displayed in a single file vertical column… announcements only take up at most the space of 1 game board if that… so, personally I don’t understand the protest :man_shrugging:

We already provided a possible solution for that above…

Thanks for explaining that you have to go to the homepage to dismiss these announcements.

Now I understand something which wasn’t intuitive at all for me. The fact is that I almost never use the homepage myself, I use a direct link to my profile which contains more useful infos as the homepage for me.

So hundreds of time I had to close these coming again and again announcements which is in my own eyes not the best design from OGS.

1 Like

That was a bug that AFAIK should be fixed now. You should only ever see each announcement pop-up once per device.

1 Like

Hopefully a fixed bug :slight_smile:

If you have noticed it recently (this last week or so) please let me know!

4 Likes

Couple of thoughts:

I think I agree but have trouble seeing what can be done away with altogether. Here are some reasons to keep each announcement:

Bar:

• Easy to find
  • Easy to come back to. Example: AGA Go Congress, I would return to the group page often using the notification bar even though I had long since 'x’ed out the popup. I found that useful, although I totally recognize that there are other ways to remember where to go.
  • Obviously, the ability to hide stuff now lives in the bar, not in the pop-ups, so deleting everything after 'x’ing the popup would eliminate that

Popup

• Not required to be on the homepage to see these. i spend a lot of time in games/reviews etc, might miss notifs if they go away.

Personally, I’d be content with seeing popups move into the notifications menu, but that’s actually more clicks to get rid of everything (assuming you didn’t start with the homepage bar).

2 Likes

How about a link from the home page, in the section on the right (where ladders etc are) with an alert type thing on it if there are unread ones - which takes you to the announcement history?

Or … a settings option to “clear on popup-dismiss”. I think I prefer that, actually - for stream announcements I guess.

3 Likes

Y’know, I’m not usually one to float the idea “Just make it a setting”, but I think that might be the best solution here. We have an announcements settings page that’s relatively empty. It would just be two toggles “show announcement popups” and “show announcements bar” (I’m not married to the wording). IMO it makes sense to keep both on by default as the concerns @BHydden raised about discoverability are important.

WDYT?

PRE-POSTING-EDIT: OMG JYNX, but I’m too lazy to delete my comment. Great minds think alike!

ACTUAL EDIT: In case Jynx means different things in other dialects, school kids say that when they say the same thing at the same time. I think whoever says jynx first is owed a coke.

1 Like

This isn’t a counter to the settings proposal, it seems fine to me.

Just a question, whether you wish to not see any stream announcements at all, or want to see them all once and then not again after dismissing… because AFAIK (and maybe you missed?) it is possible to block entire announcement categories so that you never see stream announcements…

1 Like

Right that’s a different thing.

It’s not that I don’t want to see them. I just don’t want to have to dismiss them twice: once is enough for me. So the setting is to say “don’t persist this on the home page if I dismissed the popup”.

4 Likes

Cool, easy.

Just wanted to double check :slight_smile: I’m on board with this being a default both shown with the option to change either behaviour setting at benjito described above. You gonna code it up GaJ? :stuck_out_tongue: you seem amply motivated :wink:

1 Like

GaJ would have said “snap” :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think you’re even supposed to dismiss announcements on home page. That’s the place where they hang around. After all, what’s the point of home page if it’s empty.

2 Likes

There’s plenty on there besides announcements heh. But yeah, the way I use it, I don’t usually get rid of announcements on the homepage - they don’t bother me…

Unless

…unless it’s a streamer who posts to much, in which case I make a PR that allows people to hide announcements from specific users because I’m petty like that.

4 Likes