I'd like to offer and accept teaching games (I'm about 14k)

Hello everyone! I’d like to introduce myself to the community and immediately offer something back. I just started playing Go in January, and I’ve fallen in love with it. I’m planning on starting a Go club at my nephew’s elementary school in the fall, hoping to give this amazing game some presence in southern Oregon.
That being said, I’m going to need to not only improve my skills at the game, but I’d like to have the ability to teach fundamentals down to a science by the fall, in order to be able to convey them to children. So I’d love to get help from anyone in this matter! From slightly stronger players who can give me understandable moves to play for incremental gains, to great players who can give deep insight, to brand new players who still suffer from tunnel vision and don’t even notice atari. Please, let’s play so I can work towards my goal of giving this game some more of it’s well deserved attention in the west!

2 Likes

So I am not a noticeably stronger player but I am always looking for games where my opponent or I am learning.

I am reply to your post mostly because I am also trying to teach elementary age children, my daughter and a few school children with ages between 5 and 13 years old.

Have you read Go as communication: http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoAsCommunication
it deals with teaching the very young.

This is where my real passion for go lies and I hope we can cooperate.

1 Like

If you’re interested in playing some malkovich games, you could ask Levvo if you could join his group, Levvo’s Corner. He’s not accepting applicants right now, but it’s still worth a try and worst case scenario is you’d already have applied when he opens it again.

Also, we’re close enough in rank that we could play a malko game together if you wanted. If you’re interested I can send you a challenge.

1 Like

Go teacher Andrew Jackson 5d recently posted a video to Youtube:

It’s titled “Hard Boring Work and Sneaky Tricks”, referring to the hard work that is learning and the sneaky tricks that people use to keep motivated.

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I still found it very interesting.

3 Likes

Great video. The bit about successful training is particularly enlightening.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your replies guys! I’m headed to work right now, but I’ll watch that video, apply to that group, and send out some game invites later! :smiley: I’m glad to see this community is lively and encouraging! That’s part of what has drawn me to this game. Many lessons learned in the game can and should be applied in life. While a few allow their egos to dominate their game, it seems to me that most Go players learn early on that it is better to cooperate in order to compete, rather than go at it on your own and rub your victories in people’s faces.

1 Like

I’m a few stones stronger than you are, I’d be happy to play some games with you and talk about what I see.