Just lost a game I won

The computer can’t count or what?

Yes, computers can’t count. They only have on and off states.

3 Likes

Not sure I understand your title “lost a game I won” …

Do you mean one of the following?

• Sometimes I lose a game in the late mid-game (most often due to some risky, greedy, blundering moves I played) which earlier I thought to have won (“losing a won game”). And sometimes I win games in the late mid-game that earlier I seemed to have lost due to my lack of strategy (“winning a lost game”).
    Is it this you mean?

• Or … did you play a bot and the score at the end was wrong in your opinion?

• Or … did you play a game and the Score Estimator (SE) said you were winning while in the end you lost?

In the last case: never trust a SE … the estimation is just a more or less educated guess, built on what the system understands of the board:

• The earlier in the game, the less the approximation is worth.
  • If there still are are open borders somewhere between your and your opponent’s territories, the SE can fail terribly.
  • And AFAIK it also does not completely understand dead eye shapes, Ko (with all the many possible consequences), etc.

(anybody who understands this better than me please correct me)

3 Likes

Here’s the game for ease of finding it:

Ignoring the weird decisions of which stones are dead on the left, there are whole chunks that appear uncounted on the right and at the top.

I’m just a lowly brand new player to Go though so don’t trust anything I say, but I thought I’d share this so you could see the game at least, as OP didn’t link it.

Edit: Got the achievement “First Onebox”

This badge is granted the first time you post a link on a line by
itself, which was then automatically expanded into a onebox with a brief
summary of the link, a title, and (when available) a picture.

And yet, this did not happen :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for the link, @Pluckerpluck!

And @eshesj, now I understand … please cf. “The stone removal phase” in our documentation:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.