Language Learners' Library

I didn’t want to bump an old thread just for this, but I wanted to respond to a discussion in Post mortem for Fan YunRuo 8p, also without wishing to trivialise the subject matter.

Groin: On 2 july this year, the famous player Fan Yun Ruo 8p, aged 24, falled from a building and passed away.

李建澔2: Not a big thing but there usually isn’t space in chinese names actually pretend someone is named abc. You write it as A BC without a space.

Samraku: Do you mean there isn’t a space separating the surname from the given name? If so, I think it’s normal to transliterate that into English with a space, because while Chinese doesn’t use spaces, English does.

RubyMineshaft: I think he was talking about the space in the middle of the given name. OP transliterated it as Fan Yun Ruo. It’s a bit pedantic, but @李建澔2 is correct in saying it should be Fan Yunruo.

I think this is a late 20th C. / 21st C. convention.

It’s pretty common to see translations such as Go Sei Gen in mid-20th C. material, and A B C also seems to have been a popular style in the 19th C. and earlier.