Long live high-level OGS game(s)

People sometimes complain about lack of high-level human games on OGS. Here’s one:

9 Likes

Game 5 to be announced later.

5 Likes

thanks sai, tag me when it starts and I’ll see what I can do about giving you an OGS announcement if you like :wink:

3 Likes

thanks

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Quick question - why does a Jubango have an even number of games? Wouldn’t an odd number of games make sense so that you couldn’t have a tie?

Because Asians aren’t obsessed with ties being the end of the world. If two players are very even a tie makes sense. Even more so after a jubango!

5 Likes

Right - I could see that…

I guess, with komi always ending in 0.5 to avoid a tie, I figured a jubango would have a similar principle, but yeah, if one of the logical outcomes is to prove that the 2 players are equally strong, then that makes sense

Thanks!

Typically, to my understanding, a jubango is not played using komi. They bypass the unfairness by alternating who takes black and who takes white, with the first level of handicap being winner always takes white.

2 Likes

Interesting! makes sense tho

the Jubango being played on OGS (latest game being the xFujiwaranoSaiX vs. HippoDROme played earlier today) used standard 6.5 komi, so I guess they are doing their own variation on the concept

2 Likes

Fair enough, I think the original jubango predated komi if I remember correctly… but I guess there’s no reason it couldn’t work either way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Correct.
Jubango was played because komi did not exist, they created komi to not play Jubango and make it fair. We use komi either way as OGS doesn’t allow for there not to be komi. So we just kind of rolled with it.

4 Likes

Game 6 of Jubango will be played tomorrow 10/25/19 at:
12:00 PM EST/
4:00 PM UTC
1h30m+1x45s
B= Dro, W= Sai

1 Like

Local time for that is:
2019-10-25T16:00:00Z

2 Likes

^^ that is very funky!

1 Like