Looking for information about the American Tournament/Professional Go Circuit

Hello All,
Recently, I have become more and more interested in Go. I am quite weak as a player but hope and expect to improve in the years to come. That being said, I am curious about the American Amateur and Professional Go Circuit. Do the Amateur Tournaments lead to a boosted rank and give you a chance to go Pro? If so, what is the age cut off for going pro? I hear it is quite low in places like Japan, but I am only interested in doing so in America really.

Thanks!

Hi! I recommend the AGA website (www.usgo.org) for all information related to tournaments and other events. We do have a rating system that allows you to rank up by playing in amateur (and pro, if you can qualify :smile:) tournaments!

Hey Xhu! (I am a big fan of your 9x9 video series by the way) What does it take to qualify for the amateur and pro tournaments? Also, what is the difference?

The AGA has pro qualifiers (a highly, highly selective tournament) which have helped determine the current American 1p pros. You’d have to be really good to qualify for that though :stuck_out_tongue: The amateur tournaments are all open, however, you just need to sign up (preferably with an AGA membership) and go there! Here’s a list of recent events that have been posted: http://www.usgo.org/event-calendar

Thanks for supporting my 9x9 videos! :smile: