Make "analysis disabled" the default (poll) - COMING SOON!

This thread with todays lengthy conversion on chat has made me understand that there some players who do not join ogs ladders because they do not wish their opponent using the analysis tools, which are enabled on default. I don’t know how many of those players exists, but since the number seems to be higher than 2, i suppose it’s worth fixing for them.

I propose we allow group admins to change the settings of ladders for their groups.

This would not only solve the problem of having no ladders with analysis disabled, but many more groups might want to take advantage of this. I can see “fast correspondence” group wanting to have quicker time settings, many kyu groups wanting handicaps, chinese groups wanting chinese rules etc.

This would also give more meaning for all group ladders, because currently the only thing that differentiates those ladders from the sitewide ones is the smaller playerpool. Quick look at the random sample of group ladders reveals that those are indeed pretty quiet places, not many users of those groups even join the ladders at the first place, and even fewer of them challenges anyone else. If those ladders had something specific to them, maybe they would see more activity and serve more purpose for having group ladders at the first place.

Combined with showing group ladders in main ladder page this propose would/could increase activity of those ladders a lot.

Of course group admin changing the ladder settings shouldn’t affect the currently ongoing games, but take effect only for new games. And the settings for group ladders should be somewhere visible, so that everyone knows what they are getting into before joining those ladders (current users in those ladders just have to bear with it)

Does anyone come up with any negatives of this proposal, or does everyone think its a great idea?
Should i make a new topic or github request of this?

14 Likes