McMahon Tiebreakers - SODOS and Rating out, Head-to-head in

First, thanks for bringing up the discussion!

I made the current title tournament rule based on the following official/default/implicit tournament rule for OGS, i.e.:

1. Status
  2. Points
  3. SOS
  4. SODOS
  5. Rating

Since in my opinion, the Disqualification Criteria, which disqualifies players with one single timeout, is way too harsh, I switched Status and Points in this hierarchy.

I agree that the remaining ones doesn’t make much sense (btw, on OGS, SOS is actually sum of opponents’ wins instead of sum of opponents’ scores) and they work like coin tossing in most cases, but the reason I didn’t change the other settings is simply because I’m doing the result reporting manually, and under current title tournament rule I only need to keep an eye on disqualified players when reporting players’ tournament ranking based on their system-decided ranking :wink:

I like the idea of head-to-head points, but one problem is when there are n players with the same score, you need to find out O(n^2) games played among them, which could be quite tricky when it’s done manually.

The tiebreaker game, however, can take quite a long time (as long as one extra round) for correspondence tournament, so it doesn’t seem feasible in this case.

Therefore, based on all the trade-offs, I’ll add the extra rule of head-to-head score as the third tiebreaker only for deciding the ranking of players with points that are not lower than the points of the third-place. In other words, I’ll manually calculate the head-to-head points to decide the top few (>=3) players. For the rest, the current rule will still be applied, at least before I had time to write a script to compute them automatically.

This new rule would be announced in the next tournament announcement and it’ll take effect for tournaments that start after the day of the announcement.

2 Likes