Migrating feature requests and suggestions over to uservoice

Hello all,

Over the past couple of years we’ve gotten multiple thousands of feature requests and suggestions on how to make OGS increasingly awesome. Some are big, some are small, some are great ideas, some not as great, and while we think we did pretty good at juggling, sorting, implementing, and incorporating several hundred of those, there are lots of good ideas that fell through the cracks, or just ended up getting neglected for a plethora of reasons and excuses.

Starting immediately we’d like to begin using https://ogs.uservoice.com to help solve this problem by providing the OGS community with the tools to help us capture and prioritize what y’all think should happen next. For those unfamiliar with uservoice, it is a forum like system that allows you to add suggestions and feature requests as well as vote on existing requests that you believe are most important. Everyone has 10 votes to distribute and you may assign 1, 2, or 3 votes per topic. Then ideally we developers can come along and work on the features that are most important to the community overall.

So, if you’ve got ideas on what needs to happen to make OGS better, even if you’ve brought them up before, head on over to https://ogs.uservoice.com and start typing! OGS wouldn’t be here today without the community’s guidance and input, and we’re sorry if your past feature requests and suggestions have seemingly gone unheard (I do assure you they have all been heard - just potentially buried amongst the other requests), we’re hoping this will help though!

Thanks to all of you who help keep us heading in the right direction!
anoek

11 Likes

Is is also possible to down vote something over there? I think that is also important.

1 Like

Ok in principle, but what counts as a feature request for example my last 2 posts here were about site features but I did not know whether they were really feature requests, support requests or bug reports and actually if you look at them they were arguably both. I think if you are moving you should move all “site” and technical discussion to somewhere else and keep the forums just for go discussion or something. Otherwise i think people will post here and then just make more work for the mods moving them to the new site or vice versa

1 Like

It doesn’t look like it, intuitively I’d agree with you, though I imagine they don’t support it for some good reasons (promotes negativity, bullying, etc…), so I’m inclined to trust them and see how it ends up working out.

1 Like

There are lots of things that come up that are quite frequently answered by our awesome users who know and answer quicker than we can, which is great for us since it frees us up to work on code… so I’m inclined to keep non feature requests over here for the time being.

4 Likes

The new format is wonderful, I like like like it. Great

2 Likes

I’m a little confused. At least one topic was closed on the new tool because it was considered a bug report and not a feature request. How do you tell the difference? If I call fixing a bug a feature request “wouldn’t it be great if this bug was fixed…” is that OK to post on the new tool?

I like the new system, just trying to understand what goes where and the reasoning being used.

Thanks

Tom

2 Likes

Yeah I guess that’s a bit of a gray area - so the reason I would discourage most bug reports in there is because they should typically be fixed in a much higher priority than the highly votes new features, and so they have their own system - users report here, the bug is validated, and then we’ll move it into our internal bug tracker so we can fix them more or less first.

Of course there are some exceptions, there are a few long standing “bugs” / bad behaviors which we know about but don’t prioritize for whatever reason (effort/reward isn’t high etc) - say for instance the old behavior of the private messages… that would have been a good “bug” to put into the uservoice system, though I wouldn’t have called it a bug but rather a rework of the system… that kind of thing.

4 Likes

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

is this still active? it seems to have a very low profile. wouldn’t it be simpler to use github for feature requests?

2 Likes